Monday, October 03, 2011

Roof

Did I mention that my house is getting a new roof today? Right over my head, a group of men are tearing off the layers of old shingles to prepare for a new layer. They are also apparently performing River Dance. The banging, thumping, and general all around noise has led me to this conclusion.

They started at 8:30 this morning. I don't know how long they will work today. I'm hoping they get the roof done by Wednesday. I don't live in a large house, but it does have a weird shaped roof with at least two layers of shingles on it and maybe three. 

It's a mess outside; tar paper and old shingles are everywhere. I hope they will clean it up before they leave. It's been amazing to watch the old nails rain down. I think they run a magnet over the yard when they finish, but I think we should still be careful about parking on the lawn for a while. There are always a couple of nails just waiting to pierce a tire or be thrown by a lawn mower into someone's leg. I knew a guy that had a nail thrown into his leg. He's fine, of course, but the incident made him more cautious about mowing his own lawn. 

Generally lawn work is dangerous. Sharp shears, whirring blades, rotating knifes on a bush trimmer, explosives, lasers, etc. Frankly, a person could get hurt mowing their lawn. Or their neighbors could. Maybe a whole block.

A man up the street from me has understood that for years. He rarely mows his lawn. Just lets winter beat it down. I would guess his next door neighbors aren't so thrilled with that. This year, though, his lawn has stayed neat because the drought hasn't let the grass and weeds grow. It's been brutal here.

We're supposed to get some rain next week. I sure hope so.

Oh, the desktop computer is working. I'm using it to type this. Still have a few more programs to load and a few fonts and drivers to find, but it's 98 percent done. I hope it continues to work.

1 comment:

Rain said...

Hello,

Waving at you all the way from San Diego!

I sent you an email today. I came across an article today and thought about you and I sent you a link.

Take care of yourself!