Friday, October 28, 2011

No idea

I'm participating in National Novel Writing Month in November. Which is really close. This is maybe the craziest thing I've done all year. It's amazing I even think it's possible for me to do this when I haven't managed an extended amount of writing all year.

Well, it's on. It's like riding a roller coaster, and I'm nearing the top. My stomach is fluttering. My eyes are wide. I can see for miles, and there's that hesitation for a moment as the ride slows as we reach the crest.

I'm attempting mainstream fiction this year. It's the story of Hunter Thornton. The book is called Twice Around the Crazy Tree.

Hunter Thornton hasn't been home for five years. He's happier not being there, and his family -- with the exception of his sister -- agrees. But when he learns the town is going to raise a statue to his grandfather, he has to return, his longtime and long suffering girlfriend in tow. Because while his grandfather Franklin Thornton deserved many things, a statue wasn't one of them. Hunter knows because he's the keeper of secrets, dark twisted things that could tear his family apart. What Hunter doesn't know is if he's strong enough to carry the truth twice around the crazy tree.

I've never attempted anything like this in a book. My plays are closer to mainstream than any of my fiction. I hope Hunter's story is funny, sad, strong, sexy, and above all, interesting. I don't like boring. So we'll see.

I don't promise to not have vampire, werewolf, shape-shifting alien show up in the middle if necessary. After all, I have to write at least 1,667 words a day. I may need an alien or two.

Are you participating in NaNoWriMo?

No comments: