Sunday, January 31, 2010

A powerless weekend

Sorry to be away so much the past few days. Wish I could tell that something exciting had happened, but not really. Instead my little town experienced a nasty dose of winter with snow, sleet, and ice. It started Thursday afternoon, but didn't get bad until Friday.

And Friday morning, we lost electricity at my house and didn't get back until this afternoon. Not much fun. It got cold in my house. Really cold. My roomie had left Friday afternoon to pick up Mikey to spend the weekend with us. Before he left, he started our old generator. It ran for a while and then died. We don't know what's wrong with it. He and Mikey spent the night in a hotel in Durant while I put on as many clothes as I could and suffered. It was a long, cold night.

My roomie bought a little generator and got back in town Saturday afternoon. The little generator was able to run the electric blower on the gas furnace, so Saturday night was much warmer although still as dark.

Mikey did okay. He missed playing Wii and doing the other things he enjoys with us that required electricity, but he was a lot of fun and full of energy. I'm always glad to spend time with him.

Sunday afternoon, OG&E finally got the power back on. Woohoo! By the time Mikey got home from church, the Wii was ready to go. He and my roomie played a football game. As always, I'm impressed with the Wii's graphics and sound. After that, he had to return home with a promise that he could visit again soon.

Anyway, I've spend the evening and night doing laundry and chores that I couldn't do without electricity. It's amazing how quickly things deteriorate without power. A lesson in learning to be better prepared.

I'm going to close now. I hope you're warm and safe. And that your home has electricity. Take care, and see you tomorrow!

Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Amazon.com.
Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Barnes & Noble.com
Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Lulu.com.
Order Murder by the Acre in hardcover only at from Lulu.com.
Order MBTA & MBDD items and more at Oakleaf

4 comments:

Jean said...

Brr...Glad you're back on the go.

SBB said...

Me, too, Jean. I'm definitely not a back-to-the-woods guy.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you need to look into a space heater that doesn't use electricty. When we were sitting in line for the last Twilight movie, the group behind us had a little heater that ran on propane, and I think it could also run on a rechargeable battery . It worked quite well. Would be a good addition to emergency supplies. :)

Anonymous said...

Or we could just pack our stuff and move to a warmer location!

Gail