Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Tragedy?

I've been sort of following the talk show drama on NBC, and on the news tonight, they interviewed a person who said it was "a tragedy" how NBC was treating Conan O'Brien. Obviously the meaning of "tragedy" has changed. I thought it meant something like the crash of a plane or a tornado smashing a town or an earthquake. Apparently I'm wrong. Instead it means a group of old white men arguing about how many millions they can make. Who knew?

I'm a Leno fan, although not enough to watch his show regularly. Leno is mainstream, something for which he's regularly criticized by TV critics. TV critics watch so much TV -- and TV is basically repeat after repeat, even in the new shows -- that they are desperate for anything new. Leno is not new. He's familiar. Safe. Dependable. He's a four-door sedan when the critics want a Lamborghini. Look, guys, you might look good in the Lamborghini, but the sedan will get more mileage and be more useful.

By the way, how do you get the job of a TV critic? Seems pretty cushy to me. If they disagree, I'll let them work in my office for a week taking care of demanding and angry customers while I do their job watching TV shows and meeting celebrities. And when the week is over and they desperately want to return to their jobs ... I won't switch.

It could work.

Hope life is treating you well. Talk to you tomorrow.

Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Amazon.com.
Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Barnes & Noble.com
Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Lulu.com.
Order Murder by the Acre in hardcover only at from Lulu.com.
Order MBTA & MBDD items and more at Oakleaf

No comments: