Thursday, September 06, 2007

Voices, thanks & other things

      What oh what has Tech been up to? I hear you asking. Well, I hear someone asking, maybe not you, but someone near you. Or beside you. Or maybe stalking you from afar, but they are asking that because I can hear them. I've also been picking up XM satellite radio, but that's a whole different story and I don't want that to get out or they'll start charging me. They're like that, you know.
      Anyway, before the discussion gets focused on the voices in my head and on why world conquest by a force of vicious robot monkeys is a bad thing, although certainly a Republican thing to do, let's get back to what I've been doing. As for what I did over Labor Day, you have to read the comments on Monday's post. Excellent comments, by the way, even though you wouldn't think junk mail would lead to that, but there you go. Well, not literally go. I assume you're sitting when you read this, but you know what I mean.
      What was I saying? Oh, yeah, about what I've been doing. Mostly working on family newsletters. I published July one Monday and the August one Tuesday. And I intend to publish the September one this weekend. Three in one month -- which is a record -- and will catch me up for the first time in nearly two years. How cool is that! Well, it's very cool. Just so you know.
*
      I've been going through -- and am still in -- a crisis here, although I hope the worst of it is over. It's been a reminder about how even our best intentions can hurt us and how fragile our "secure" lives really are.
      It's also been a reminder about how true friends behave. I have been blessed with a handful of friends who have stuck by me and who in so many ways have helped me, even if it's just been with a sympathetic ear or an invitation to lunch.
      I've really learned who my real friends are, and I'm not interested in the fair-weather friends who are only available at their convenience, not ever mine, and who won't defend me even when my reputation is being maligned.
      Early this morning I went through my cell phone and my address book and deleted names and addresses. I can't tell you how liberating that was. I was talking to my friend Gail W. late last night, and she said something very wise: "If people aren't your friend in bad times, then they aren't your friend in good times, either." That resounded with me.
      Of course, it's a lesson I've learned before, but for some reason -- naiveté, I'd guess, or sheer stupidity -- I keep forgetting it. The past few days have been a painful reminder.
      So this is a thank you to those friends who have stuck by me. I appreciate you and hope you realize that I'm there for you, too.
*
      I have my first book signing next week. I'm nervous and excited about it. I'm not expecting to sell many or any books, but I am hoping that a lot of people who have already bought the book will come by and let me meet them. I'm very curious about who they are. Every day or so I have someone I didn't expect mention that they purchased the book or have read it. It's been very cool. I'll be giving you a report next week on how it goes.
*
      I thought the comments on Monday's post were especially good, as I mentioned earlier. Thanks to all the thoughtful people who spoke there. The search for spiritual meaning in our lives is an important quest that we should all undertake. (How pompous did that sound!) Anyway, it was cool to share and be shared with.
*
      Murder by the Acre is in trouble. Nothing I can't write my characters out of, but trouble nonetheless. I had hoped to have it out by Christmas, and I still might, but I am determined that it be a better book than that murder mystery masterpiece Murder by Dewey Decimal ... ahem. Anyway, that may mean that I have to release it in 2008. We'll see how it goes.
*
      I don't think I mentioned that the distribution copy of Murder by Dewey Decimal has been approved. Sometime in October, you should be able to order it from Amazon and other retailers. You should also be able to order it from your lcoal bookstore. My baby done grown up and moved out.
*
      Speaking of babies, Mikey is doing well in the first grade. He really likes it, which is a great relief. His little brother Jay is doing well, too. As are Zee and Kayla. And Miss Gm and Mr. Gm. And Princess J and Queen H. All my babies are doing well. A great blessing.
*
    &bnsp;  They're going to have a street festival here in October. I'm thinking about getting a booth and selling my book there. Maybe I could find another author or some other business to share the cost with. I'll have to look into that.
*
      Well, it's time to go to work. I have a busy morning there, but I'm off this afternoon, which I will spend promoting the book signing. I hope you have a good day. I'm outta here.
 
Order Murder by Dewey Decimal in paperback HERE!
 
Order Murder by Dewey Decimal in hardcover HERE!
 
Order Murder by Dewey Decimal merchandise HERE!
 

10 comments:

SBB said...

Nothing more embarrassing than re-reading a post and discovering tons of errors. They're fixed now. Well, I guess it would be more embarrassing to be naked at a wedding, but that only happened once briefly so I don't know how it would have played out if the nakedness had continued for a while. Perhaps I would have got used to it, and thus, not be embarrassed. An experiment for another time. Hey, I'm invited to a wedding this Saturday night! What cool timing.

Michelle said...

Congrats on your book signing! How exciting :)

I understand, all too well, about finding out who real friends are and aren't... It's sad, but somewhat liberating to have a more solid foundation on who you can trust.

I'm jealous of your wedding. I have no social life...

Trixie said...

Perhaps you could promote your book signing by releasing some information about time, date and place here. You might attract a few stalkers, er, fans from this special group of your close but not that close friends who are scattered hither and yon. And what if you did? You could get out your giant collection of duct tape and gather them all into an even more giant collection of people duct-taped together at a BOOK SIGNING! I bet that would make the news. It certainly would here, if I had anything to say about it.

And about fair-weather friends? You can't denegrate yourself for knowing that they aren't true-blue loyal friends until they actually have to stand the test of a tough situation, you know? To modify an Eleanor Roosevelt comment, a friend doesn't know how strong they are until you're in hot water.

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Please make sure the wedding this weekend isn't the time for the experiment! :)

I'm envious of the people that will be getting their books signed when I'm still waiting for my bookplates. You haven't even asked to whom they should addressed. :(

The street fair idea sounds great! I wonder if the organizers would help you find someone with whom you could share a booth. Never hurts to ask. :)

(You do still my number in your cell, don't you???)

Gloria Williams said...

Tech, I was sorry to hear about the mess that those jealous, small, vicious, untalented people (and that's NOT the word I want to use to describe them) have involved you in. I remember one of them very well from when I lived there and I wouldn't cross the street to see anything done by her.

Please try to remember that they are motivated solely by jealousy and do your level best to not let them steal your joy. And if all else fails, I will drive up there myself and b****slap those hoes into next week! :)

Trixie said...

Whoa!! Gloria means BUSINESS!

Anonymous said...

Yes I am with Gloria, I have no idea what is going on (hint hint) but I am on your side. If you need anyone beat up just tell me and I can have my people come see them. OK, we are talking Matt, but I raised him I might as well get son use out of him!
Let me know about the street fair thing and maybe we can make a road trip to torment you with our presence for the day.
Roen

Rain said...

Just catching up...

You have three blogs? Hmm, I just learned something new!

I am not sure who these "friends" are that who won't defend you even when your reputation is being maligned however, we can make them take a long walk down a short plank into shark infested waters!Arrgh.

((hugs)) :0)

Jean said...

Good luck at the book signing.

It's so embarrassing to step out of the wedding preparation area and discover you've forgotten to accessorize! It might make a great story though.

SBB said...

Thanks for the congrats, Michelle. And it is sad when your friends aren't, but you're right in that it's liberating to be free of falsehood.

I will be posting about the book signings, Trixie. And thanks for the support.

To whom should the bookplates be addressed, FF? Send me an email with the info. And yes, your phone number is still in my cell. I think... :)

Thanks -- I think -- for the offer of violence, Gloria! :) I appreciate your support.

Apparently she is, Trixie.

Wahoo, Roen, a use for Matt at last! :)

Rain, thanks fot the gangplank offer. I'm thinking that maybe you and Gloria have the start of a pirate crew!

Thanks, Jean!