Tuesday, April 17, 2007

A very bad day

      This has not been one of my better days. Last night the antibiotics triggered a massive IBD attack. It’s been a while since it’s been that bad, but it’s been nearly two years since I’ve taken antibiotics. I’d been consciously avoiding them because there might be a link between antibiotics and IBD, IBS and Crohns. The idea behind it is that antibiotics kill off helpful bugs in our digestive systems as well as harmful ones. There’s a lot of research on it, but no one has shown definitely that is a link or that there isn’t one.
      Anyway, on a lot of health sites, they talk about controlling IBD by cutting back on sugar, reducing the amount of red meat, using probiotics, eating more fiber, avoiding antibiotics, etc. Over the past couple of years, I’ve done just that. And I’ve seen a marked improvement. Still not normal, but getting there.
      Now I’m worried this mega-antibiotic the doctor prescribed might undo all that work. Oh well, I needed something to help me get over this respiratory infection, and I can breathe better today and am having less fever. So I’m on the way back to health. I've completely lost my voice from the vomiting, but I'm hoping it will return by tomorrow.
      The play continues to totter on the brink. I’ve developed a wait-and-see attitude. If we have enough talented and dedicated actors to put it on, great. If not, it wasn’t meant to be. I’ll be okay either way. Tonight I'm going to get someone to drive me down there, and if no one new shows up, I'll be back home quick. If anyone new shows up, I'll have them read a page or two and then call it a night. I hope to spend less than 30 minutes down there. I simply don't have the energy.
      Anyway, that's my day. No excerpts until I get back on my feet, but I hope to post a couple by the weekend. Take care.

6 comments:

Rain said...

I am so sorry that you are sick. If I lived near you I would bring you some of my homemade soup and I would make sure you get plenty of sleep.

Having said that I am going to look up IBD, IBS and Crohns. I am not informed and I want to know more about them.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could help too. Please take care and let me know if there is anything We can do to help.
Roen

Anonymous said...

Tech,
I am so sorry to hear you are so
sick. May God's sweet healing
touch you.

Take Care
Jeannie Diane

Erudite Redneck said...

Be well, friend.

Unknown said...

Hope you get better. It does sound like you've resolved the question about the antibiotics and IBD link.

Anonymous said...

I worry when Tech tells us that he is sick and we do not hear from him for days. Is he still standing or flat in bed or at a hosp. somewhere? Or has he abandonded us for some play once again.
Roen