Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Howdy!

      Howdy from the underworld! Or at least it's felt like I've been under things lately. Let's catch up a bit.
      First, The doctor found that I am a diabetic. And apparently have been for a while. I started my medication Actos today. It appears that 40 percent of my pancreatic cells have died or stopped functioning. Actos is supposed to increase the insulin sensitivity of my regular cells so that my pancreas doesn't have to work so hard and that my body will start bringing my blood sugar levels down. Or something like that.
      Besides damaging my pancreas, the diabetics also caused decreased liver function, kidney inflammation and enlargement of my heart. It is also probably responsible for all the aches and pains that I've been feeling in my joints. Basically it worked me over, and I wasn't even aware it was happening.
      However, there are good things, too. We caught it before it could do any more damage. The doctor thinks my liver will recover. The enlargement of the heart is not much and unlikely to increase my chances of a heart attack or stroke by too much. As the blood sugar drops, the kidneys should recover. If my diabetes had remained unchecked for another six months or a year, my situation would be horrible. As it is, with the diet, exercise and meds, I should be okay. Maybe even better than I've been in years.
      It's a big adjustment, and I'm still trying to understand this whole thing. It's confusing and complicated. I'm gathering material and books and will get a handle on it. But at least I know what's wrong and have a way to combat it. That's a good thing.
      Second, the play was cast. Last night I went down to the theater and worked with the cast some. I think they're doing to do a great job despite my absences. Only goes to show that no one is irreplaceable, certainly not me.
      Third, the Murder by Dewey Decimal blog is up. It only has the first chapter there, but I'll move over there as I can. The story will be in order over there, which is harder than it sounds to arrange on a blog. And eventually there will be a link to go and buy a self-published version of the complete book. I hope to have that done in the next couple of months.
      Fourth, it's time for me to go to work. Have a great day. Talk to you later.
      

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, rats. Sorry to hear about the diabetes. It does sound positive, though, that you caught it now.

Out of curiosity, what made you suspect that you were diabetic?

* *

Glad to hear the play is doing well. I know how you worry. ;)

* *

Thanks for the MBDD blog, but does that mean we have to wait until the blog is caught up before we get 3.7 (or 4.1)? I don't think I can last that long! :)

Rain said...

I am a diabetic and I test my blood three to four times a day, everyday. It takes less than a minute and it will save your life!

((hugs))

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! Drugs are our friends! How will this impact the IBS? I hope that this will fix some of that too. Miss you!
Roen

Anonymous said...

It's good to know that you're positive about the situation, and you could potentially feel better than you have in years!

I'll try to make it back on time this evening. If not, we know that no one is irreplaceable.

Looking forward to buying a copy...and getting it autographed.

Have a great day!

Michelle said...

I am glad you have a diagnosis. There is some relief in just knowing what is wrong and getting a treatment. I am glad they were able to do it so quickly.

Anonymous said...

Ok I'm posting again cause you like daily responses. Hopw the meds are kicking in and your play goes on without you so you can get better!
Roen

SBB said...

FF, my family has a history of it, but really, I suggested it to my doctor more because I didn't want to worry about it anymore than because I thought I had it. It was a shock when it turned out I did. And no, you won't have to wait, but I intend to catch the MBDD blog up soon.

Thanks for support, Rain. We're going to have to get together and chat. I'm sure you've got lots of good advice.

Roen, the IBD is another problem to work around. IBD likes carbs and starches, particularly white rice. I just have to find the path between the IBD and the diabetes.

TL, I'm looking forward to having a copy to sell to you!

Yes, Michelle, not knowing is nerve wracking. I hope you feel better soon.

Roen, the play is going well.