Wednesday, November 30, 2005

It's not tasty being green

      I had my last cup of green tea last night. I've been on this health kick lately, and a friend of mine (whom I will never trust again) told me that green tea was healthy and "tasted good." Somehow she maintained a straight face when she said it. So I bought some, and as I toiled on my NaNoWriMo novel over the past few weeks, I thought I'd give it a try.
      It's a cliché, of course, but the idea of an author being fueled by some beverage, be it coffee, alcohol or tea has been with us ever since Gok pounded on a rock while he was fueled by fermented dinosaur milk. I don't drink coffee because my IBD won't tolerate it. I don't drink alcohol, but I'm not some fanatic teetotaler about it. If you want to sully the sacred temple of your body by swilling liquids created in the pits of Hell to destroy lives and wreck relationships until all concerned are whoring themselves in the gutter, far be from me to stand in your staggering way. Go for it. Have a double. Anyway, tea is my drink of choice.
      I prefer Viennese Earl Grey, but I also enjoy orange pekoe (which isn't actually a brand, but a type of tea -- never mind). For a fried chicken church dinner, I think Lipton (unsweetened) is excellent, although I know tea connoisseurs have just started fluttering their white hankies to fan their shocked faces. I don't drink a lot of tea. I can nurse a hot, steaming cup through an entire writing session. Just a few occasional sips when I pause to read my incredible, fantastic, flowing, lyrical, wise words. Ahem.
      Anyway, my friend (?) told me that green tea was incredibly good for your body. It's loaded with antioxidants that help clear free radicals out of your body. I do think this is true. I can see free radicals leaving as fast as possible. After all, if you were willing to drink green tea, who knows what other crap you might pour down your body? Free radicals ain't stupid.
      I had my doubts since it really didn't look like tea, but I heated my water and then placed the tea ball in there to seep. Yes, I said tea ball. I don't know who thought of the idea of placing tea in gauze, but to me, those packets always look like something you're afraid the doctor left in you after surgery, particularly after they plump up with water. I know a few purists who insist that even using a tea ball is wrong. They think that the tea should just be placed loose into a bone china teapot filled with hot water and allowed to gradually settle to the bottom while they discuss Royal Family and why marrying close cousins really is a capital idea.
      Right now the green tea lovers are hopping up and down and dying to tell me that I need to try their brand because it's delicious. I say to them now: You're all lying weasels. Because I tried several brands. See, I'm not very bright so when the first one was bad, I thought, "Huh, maybe it went bad," so I bought another brand. It was worse so then I thought maybe the stocks in that store were bad so I tried a couple different brands from another store. And then I grabbed another brand at another store. Right now in my kitchen I have five opened boxes of green tea. I hope they won't be toxic in the landfill.
      Truthfully, part of the problem is that they call it "tea." Your mouth thinks it's going to get tea and instead it gets alfalfa juice. That's the problem with soy milk. People expect the taste of milk. They should call it "soy drink" or "soy liquid" or "soy spit." Then no one would be disappointed by taste expectations.
      Anyway, I tried it with honey, then with sugar, then cut with real tea and then other options. Eventually I was drinking a beverage made of real tea, a pound of sugar, cream, half a cup of honey, 1/3 cup of raspberry juice and a teaspoon of green tea. And I could still taste the green tea. You could put a drop in paint thinner, and it would flavor the whole can.
      So that's my adventure with green tea. But all is not lost. It turns out that strawberries contain tons of antioxidants, and I like strawberries. But not in my tea. The only thing that belongs in tea is a cube of sugar and a spoon. You can quote me.

12 comments:

Mark said...

Hi Tech. I too, have recently been trying to eat healthier. And I am pleased to hear that strawberries have antioxidents. Although I have no idea what an antioxident does, (it sounds like it neutralizes oxygen by the name) I have recently discovered McDonalds' Fruit and yogurt parfait, which is mostly yogurt but has strawberries in it too. It is only 1 dollar and whatever the tax is in your area, and it's nutricious and tasty, too!

By the way, do you know that the interior of McDonalds has a rather attractive dining area?

Michelle said...

LOL ew...McDonalds.

Ok, Call me a dog but Ihappen to love Green Tea. I don't care for the hot version though. I make green tea iced sweet tea and it is yummy.

Sorry you didn't care for it. But there are lots of things that can provide the same benefit.

Gloria Williams said...

LOL! I'm so glad to read another one of your humor posts! You lifted my day. :)

I also don't like green tea. But I'm afraid I'm fine with Lipton's all the time. :O

SBB said...

Mark, this is what I could find on the web about antioxidants.

What Is an Antioxidant?

Your body naturally produces chemicals called free radicals that cause irreversible damage (oxidation) to cells. They can leave your body vulnerable to advanced aging, cancer, cardiovascular disease, and degenerative diseases like arthritis.

Although your body has a natural antioxidant mechanism that protects you from most cell damage, certain environmental factors, like cigarette smoke, exhaust fumes, radiation, excessive sunlight, certain drugs, and stress, can increase free radicals. And, ironically, so can the healthy habit of exercising.

Fortunately, many substances in food act as antioxidants. Scientists have conducted studies, particularly on vitamins E and C, and the nutrient beta-carotene, to find out what role they play in protecting you.


And so on.

SBB said...

Oh, Michelle, my heart just goes out to you, you poor sweet thing. See, this is what repeated cold weather does to a person. Who knows what other radical ideas are being hatched in the frigid climes? :)

SBB said...

Gloria, I like Lipton's at times, but seriously you should try Earl Grey. It might change your whole approach to tea.

Slim said...

LOL Tech! I find adding rum to green tea helps, but I find adding rum to toothpaste helps, too. :) There are few situations where rum doesn't help. It's like a wonder drug!

SBB said...

Rum and toothpaste ... Now that's a flavor combination that wouldn't have crossed my mind.

Michelle said...

LOL Slim cracks me up. I like Slim.

Ok Antioxidants live in many veggies too. Like broccoli. But i htink I have mentioned a time or two how I feel about broccoli. *shivers*

Rum and Broccoli Slim?

Slim said...

No, no, no! Not rum and veggies! NOOOooooooo.............

CrystalDiggory said...

I never cared for green tea, either, but then I haven't tried it over ice and with rum. That might be a combination I can live with! Maybe garnish it with strawberries...wow, I think I could really get into this health kick.

Michelle said...

Mmmmm Chai.