Tuesday, November 01, 2005

2,014

      That's my word count on my NaNoWriMo novel today. I'm pleased overall, but thank goodness for my outline. I don't think I'd stand a chance of completing NaNoWriMo without it. Writing that much was harder than I expected. It took most of the evening. Well, all of my evening, an hour before work, and thirty minutes of my lunch hour. I'm hoping I'll speed up as this continues.
      To reach 50,000 words, I need at least 1,700 a day. Any extra is good because I'd like to have a couple of days off in there. I probably won't take them, but it would be nice to have a buffer.
      Did you notice the motivation quote by Linda Sprinkle (Mama Rose in comments here)? I was in chat in Forward Motion, talking about my worries about reaching my daily goal and comparing myself to other writers who are writing four or five thousand a day, and she gave me that advice. I thought it was good enough to post. Most anything can be done if you take it one small step at a time. Thanks, Linda.
      And a big thank you to my cheerleaders! I can't wait to see you in those cute outfits. We'll find out if Slym's legs are as good as he says they are! And don't forget to notice Crystal's pom-poms. I'm sure she's very proud of them.
      And finally a shout of encouragement to Joel, Jean, Beard and Mark who are NaNoWriMoing, too. I know we all can make it. I'll buy the soft drinks at the finish line!

12 comments:

CrystalDiggory said...

Wow! 2,014! Good job, Tech!

Yes, I'm quite proud of my pom poms. :P

Slim said...

*does a backflip* Three cheers for Tech!

Hurrah, hurrah, hurrah!

:)

Gloria Williams said...

I can't do a backflip, Tech, but I'm cheering for you!

How many pages is 2,014 words?

SBB said...

In regular manuscript format (double-spaced, font 10 point) it's working out to be about 8 or 9 pages. This is almost the most I've ever written in day, except I had a couple of 20-page days when I first started my fantasy novel.

Mark said...

(sigh) I got about 500 words out and then my muse took the rest of the evening off.

Then I got sleepy and went to bed.

Oh well, at least there are 29 days to go!

Mark said...

Does it have to be 10 point font and double spaced? I am using 14 and single spaced.

SBB said...

The format can be anything you want when you're writing it, Mark. But regular manuscript format for submission calls for double spaced lines and 10 or 12 size font with font being Times-Roman or Courtier. A lot of publishers and agents actually specify the fonts and sizes. I guess it's to protect their eyes.

Hey, 500 words are 500 words. They're something to be proud of.

Jean said...

What a great start!! Great work, Tech.

Jean said...

And, Mark, that was 500 words you didn't have the day before. Keep at it. Any words you get are more than you had before. Even if they're not the words you want, they're words you can edit, revise, and rearrange later, so it's a great start. Good job.

Michelle said...

Cheering...just quietly in the corner.

Slim said...

*picks out an outfit for Michelle and a set of pom-poms*

We need you, girlfriend! Let's get out there and shake our booties!

*Slim is wearing boots. What did you think I meant? ;) *

Michelle said...

LOLOLOL Boots? Honey I am shakin' my Bootay! Bootahtah...Hiney even. :P