Wednesday, November 02, 2005

5,035

      Well, I'm doing okay. But I tell you what's truly hard to do in NaNoWriMo -- sitting in my chair for the hours necessary. My butt gives out. I need a butt masseuse. Now, wouldn't that be a job that you'd be proud to list on your resume.
      Yes, I'm tired so I'm not making any sense. Well, probably I am, but let's just pretend I'm not. In fact, don't read the first paragraph at all. Okay? Thanks.
      I thought I'd share a bit about Saint Hubert. I needed a Catholic church in the town featured in my novel so I needed a name for it. I searched The Catholic Community Forum and found a great listing of all the patron saints. Here's a few interesting facts about Saint Hubert.
      Hubert was a playboy and a great hunter back in the 600's. While hunting a stag on a Good Friday evening, he received a vision of a crucifix floating between its antlers. He then heard an otherworldly voice saying, "Hubert, unless you turn to the Lord and lead a holy life, you shall quickly go to Hell." Understandably, Hubert converted to Christianity on the spot.
      After his wife died, he joined the priesthood. He was known for his excellent preaching and for his generosity to the poor.
      His name means "bright mind."
      He is the patron saint of archers, dogs, forest workers, furriers, hunters, hunting, huntsmen, machinists, mathematicians and metal works. He helps against dog bites, mad dogs and rabies.
      He was born approximately 656 in Holland and died May 30, 727.
      His representations include: a bishop with a hound and hunting horn; bishop with a stag with a crucifix; horn; horse; knight with a banner showing the stag's head and crucifix, etc.
      The things you can learn on the Net never cease to amaze me. Good night all. See you tomorrow, God willing.

8 comments:

Jean said...

I bow down to you, oh nether region fatigued one. Great count!

Mark said...

What were Huberts miracles? Don't saints have to have worked some miracles to be qualified for beatification? I'm not a Catholic so I'm not sure.

Got my count over 14,000 last night, and My Muse seems to have returned, at least temporarily.

But I cheated. I started my novel long before November 1st. But at last it took this project to make me stay at it.

It seems pretty good to me, but that's only my opinion. It probably stinks by anyone else's standards, but I am pretty happy with my novel so far.

Michelle said...

Wow...congrats Tech. Full steam ahead...

SBB said...

Thank you, Jean! But I've noticed your total is increasing, also, so I bow right back!

Mark, Hubert has a lot of miracles attributed to him, including driving out demons, healing a person of rabies, cleansing fields of rats and other pests, helping starving hunters find game, etc.

Thank you, Michelle. Your bootay shaking is spurring me on! :)

Linda said...

Nice work, Tech. :)

Linda

Gloria Williams said...

You're doing fine, Tech! You'll be breezing past 50,000 before you know it!

CrystalDiggory said...

WooHoo! This is a personal best, right? Think how pleased you'll be when you're holding a novel you wrote in a month in your hands!

Slim said...

I love the way that Texas Susan does her cheer! We've got to have her on the team!

Give me a T!
Give me a E!
Give me a C!
Give me a H!
What's that spell?
Who's our man?
YAY TECH!

Now don't you think I should have been on my high school spirit squad? They missed out this hunk of cheerleading fun!