Sunday, June 22, 2008

Sunday 3/12: Surprise visit & WoW complaint

      I meant to have posted more before now, but around 1:00, I got a call from my roomie letting me know that Mikey and his family were in town at a local restaurant. So I hurried over to see them and then took Mikey out to see his papa at church. His family joined us there. We had a good visit. Mikey's little brother J. let me hold him a little. He's such a sweet boy. And Mikey was his usual wonderful self.
      Anyway, I just got home. Now I'm behind in my schedule, but we'll try to catch up over the next few hours.
      I wanted to talk about World of Warcraft a bit. It's a good game. I can see why people would get addicted to it. I just have one complaint. Too much running! The WoW world is huge, and you mostly run from one place to another. At least half of the game time is spent in running/traveling. And the journeys aren't that interesting. Oh, you'll get attacked a few times by mindless creatures, usually in some particularly stupid way, but that's more frustrating than interesting. Thistle bears (big hungry bears) and nightstalker runts (big hungry cats) seem to take particular delight in attacking me from behind. And while I can kill them easily now, I resent the time it takes to do so. You can't even run away without them chasing you and sometimes killing you if you take too much damage before you pull away from them.
      I've read that WoW struggles with keeping players active. They have to provide enough challenges to satisfy the experienced players, but keep the game accessible for the newbies. Here's a suggestion: Put in some/more teleport portals. Let players have access to horses or other mounts sooner. Give the WoW world some trains, carriages, taxis, any form of public transportation. In other words, cut down on the boring, mind-numbing running!
      Enough said about that. Talk to you in a bit.

2 comments:

Jean said...

Yes, let them buy transportation with points, and maybe they can avoid having to kill the local fauna.

SBB said...

I think that's a great idea, Jean.