Sunday, June 22, 2008

Sunday 11/12: Bad movie, bad!

      1,000,000 B.C. is not the worse movie I've ever watched. In fact, it's not the worst movie ever on SciFi. But it is a bad movie. I always wonder why. Obviously they had enough budget to make the movie. Is it that much harder to write decent dialogue? To utilize the special effects you can afford in a realistic fashion? To actually have a character who acts the way a person really would?
      And by the way, an AK-47 would shoot a lot of holes in dinosaurs. The bullets wouldn't just bounce off. Poachers use them to kill elephants and rhinos all the time. Dinos would die just as easy. Or hard.
      So why are the movies on SciFi, or for that matter, any channel so bad? Surely they don't look at the movies and think they're good? Or do they have such contempt for us that they don't care?
      I understand the actors being in the movie. They need to make a living. And the techs? The same. But if I were the writer or the director, I wouldn't put my name on something I couldn't be proud of. 1,000,000 B.C. is not a movie someone could feel pride about. I wouldn't want it on my resume, that's for sure.
      Now we have to wonder why I watched it in the first place. The answer is either I'm eternally optimistic or I'm not that smart. I hope the former, but I suspect the latter.
      I'll be back in a bit for our final post of the day. See you then.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I watched it, too, or parts of it. I kept channel surfing and then coming back to it, hoping it would get better or at least the dinosaur would kill everyone. The dino did eat a lot of people, but not enough for the movie to mercifully come to an end soon enough.

Well, at least it kept me ocuppied while I was waiting for nails to dry.

How do the writers get someone to buy their scripts on the sci-fi channel? I mean, what are they turning down?

--Crystal

SBB said...

I wonder about the rejected scripts, too, Crystal. I know SciFi doesn't play a lot for the scripts -- apparently the less allowed by union contracts, according to Writers Digest -- and I also know they buy a lot of movies already finished that have a lot of foreign locations and production because that's cheaper -- but how does one go about getting a script to those people? It baffles me.

Jean said...

But the dinosaurs are all fossils. The AK 47 won't do much against that...

SBB said...

Bombs, Jean. You use bombs on fossils.

Jean said...

That's a very Taliban-like answer, Tech. (looks disapprovingly down her nose...) (Just kidding. Bombs would work well on fossils...I just don't want to see them raining on my hayfield or woods anytime soon. Post Ice Age, our ranch used to be a beach, so there are fossils under the sand.)

SBB said...

I thought you meant fossils that were attacking you and attempting to eat you, Jean. Then you use bombs. For regular fossils, you must use delicate equipment. Like picks, shovels, brushes, hair dryers, eyebrow pluckers, toenail clippers ... wait, where was I going with this? I had a joke, but I lost it. Sorry.

Jean said...

LOL. I never suspected you'd be the one to worry about plucking eyebrows on million-year-old fossils. You continue to surprise me.

Oh. I never thought about fossils attacking me. Sheesh. I'm glad I have you looking out for me.