Thursday, June 26, 2008

Good news!

      You may recall that EndlesS was not going to be on sale except at Lulu.com because the distribution package (which would allow it be sold at Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble.com, BooksAMillion, etc.) was too expensive for a book that I didn't expect to sell more than a few copies. This was wise as it turned out because I've only sold 14. Poetry is not a must-have item.
      However, Lulu.com proved once again how cool a publishing company it is by offering their worldwide distribution package for FREE! That's right, for a limited time, their Published by Lulu distribution package costs nothing.
      So for the past two days, I've done nothing except prepare EndlesS, the hardcover version of Murder by Dewey Decimal, and the softcover version of Murder by the Acre for the distributation package. There were minor formatting changes that had to be made in the first two. EndlesS is almost ready. As soon as I receive my proof copy and approve it, it will be released for distribution, and in 60 to 90 days, it will be at all the online retailers. I'm going to finish the hardcover update of MBDD tonight and hope to order the proof then also. It will join EndlesS and eventually be on sale at the retailers, also.
      The only bad news is the retail markup on EndlesS pushed the price up to $11.95. However, you can still get the $9.99 price from me at my book signings (while supplies last -- because I purchased 50). EndlesS might still be cheaper at Amazon and B&N than at Lulul if it qualifies for free shipping.
      I don't know the price on the hardcover of Murder by Dewey Decimal. I'm excited about having it finally out there. I'm worried about how much it will cost, but there's not much I can do about that. One cool thing is that the hardcover version has some corrections and a few additions that the softcover lacks. Nothing major, of course, but I'm pleased to have it out there.
      Tomorrow night I intend to finish the hardcover version of EndlesS and get it ready to ship, too. At that point I will have saved $400 (EndlesS, hardcover EndlesS, hardcover MBDD, and MBTA). Very cool.
      By the way, for about 20 minutes last night you could have purchased MBTA. This rough error-filled version was available for sale that long due to the distribution process before I closed it back down. Luckily no one bought one during that time period. I would have been majorly embarrassed if they had.
      Anyway, that's what I've been up to. What about you?

4 comments:

Kirsten said...

At this very red-hot moment I'm sitting in a rather nice ergonomic chair at the desk in my hotel room, waiting for the sun to go down just a wee bit more so that the entire pool is in the shade. This is necessary as I forgot to pack sunblock and don't want to take comps with a sunburn as they'll be torture enough as is.

Otherwise, just distracting myself from being nervous.

And that's very cool about the free package, Tech! Though also kinda phooey that you have to reformat them.

Jean said...

I read about that on another blog and hoped you'd know about it, but I really should have pinged you about it. I'm a bad friend, sometimes. (looking very ashamed).

I did finally order my copy of EndlesS, so I'm anxiously awaiting its printing.

Unknown said...

Cool news on EndlesS. I'm looking forward to MBTA. I'm sure it will be good. Three books available soon. Getting quite the collection.

Anonymous said...

Darn, I missed it--and I'm almost desperate enough to buy a copy of MBTA to proof! ;)