Friday, June 06, 2008

Another poem not in Endless

Shipwreck

We slip beneath the waves
Black water closes over
cold comfort to life's pain
Numb can be a blessing

How deep can we sink
before light fades completely?
How soon will our vision
fail totally and give us peace?

Above a forever storm rages
Life's cruel fury without regard
to those below who grasp
grimly onto the remaining debris.

But here it is calm as the currents
take us into the dark depths
A struggle for breath mercifully brief
The waters flood in -- wait!

I think
I see
a
light




Copyright 2008. All rights reserved

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a very well written poem, as usual, but a little dark for me. That being said, however, my favorite line is..."Numb can be a blessing"...

I wish I lived a little closer so I could take one of your poetry classes. Although, I think teaching someone how to write poetry would be a very difficult thing. It seems to me, it's one of those things that you can either do or you can't.

Crystal

AK Huckeby said...

Tragic. Man, you and solomon have a lot in common I think. Yeah, yeah, yeah...not that he was the wisest man and you rival him (I mean, that's not what I mean anyway). This dark poem made me think of the book of Ecclesiastes. It's all bad, meaningless, terrible, but then incredibly positive too - "the light"...

"Numb can be a blessing." I liked that too - that's what made me think of Ecclesiastes I think. Anyway, nice poem dude!

Erudite Redneck said...

My "EndlesS" came today! I'll peruse it into slumber ...

Anonymous said...

Ok this is now tuesday and no new post!!! Stop playing wow and blog!!
roen

SBB said...

Thanks, Crystal. Actually I think we all have poetic impulses. My classes center on channeling those impulses and on how to create poetry as opposed to prose.

Thanks, Adam. I think you are the first person to compare my poetry to writings in the Bible. I'm humbled.

Hope you enjoy it, ER. Thanks for your support!

I have blogged, Roen, but have you commented on the new blogs? :)