Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Pain killers

I try to not take pain killers. It’s a family thing. We just don’t like taking medication. But lately I find myself reaching for the Advil more often than I’d like. I always seem to have some aches and pains that stretching and movement do nothing for.

I told a friend of mine that I don’t mind getting older, it’s the breakdown of the body that bothers me. I can’t remember the last time I bounded out of bed, excited to be awake and ready to take on the day. Instead, I must slowly talk myself out of the warm embrace of the blankets and ease myself into wakefulness. And of course, my back aches, my neck aches, my shoulders ache – I wish I could blame it on the bed, but it’s the same no matter where I sleep.

Of course, I have a touch of arthritis. Who at my age doesn’t? Sigh. There’s that age thing again. Just can’t escape it.

No comments: