Friday, February 22, 2013

Five Minute Romance

As a writing prompt for my writing group, we had the assignment of doing a five minute timed writing on romance. The below is what I wrote:

Romance has always been difficult for me. I think it is for every man. That’s because women don’t know what they want, but they’re not going to be happy until we give it to them. I remember one of my ex-girlfriends wanted me to be more thoughtful on Valentine’s Day. So when the dreaded holiday rolled around, I brought her flowers, chocolates, one sweet card, one sexy card, a vial of her favorite perfume, and 1/4 caret diamond earrings. I also took her out to dinner and a movie. Later in the evening, she expressed dissatisfaction with her gifts. “But why?” I asked, truly baffled. “Well, I wanted something else,” she said. “What?” I asked. “I don’t know,” she said. “Just something else.”  She wasn’t sure what she wanted, but she was going to be unhappy until she got it. I ran into her a few months ago. She’s on her third husband and doesn’t know what keeps going wrong in her relationships. I think I know what’s wrong. She’s crazy, crazy, crazy. I may be lonely sometimes without romance, but trust me, lonely is better than miserable.

No comments: