Friday, March 12, 2010

Library

Here I am at the local library using their wireless connection and typing away. I always hear about writers who work at their local coffee shop or library. Since our Starbucks was one of those that the company (unfairly) closed, I decided to try the library.

The idea behind it is the writing won't feel so lonely. Well, isolated. At least I guess that's the general idea. Maybe other people use it because of the convenience of doing research. Maybe both.

The library, however, doesn't allow food or drink, and I can tell that would be problem for long writing sessions. I need a drink of water every now and then. The water fountain is at the back of the library, and frankly I don't want to leave my computer unguarded. Be awful easy for someone else to acquire a nice laptop that way. Perhaps I should look around and see if anyone is leaving theirs ...

Anyway, here I am. I'm sitting by a huge window watching the traffic roll by. There's a surprising amount. I always think of my town as being small -- and it is -- but 10,000 or so people can generate a good amount of traffic during commuting times.

Seeing all those cars roll past reminds me that I need to find a new car. Well, new to me. I don't think I can afford a brand new car. I'm looking for a dependable "pre-owned car" as the car lots like to call their used cars. The car I own is an '89 Topaz that has seen better days. (It needs body work, new tires, and a bumper!) I actually drive a vehicle that belongs to the company I work for, but it's also over 10 years old, and it doesn't look like it will be available much longer. It's getting to the point that it needs some work, but I don't think management wants to put that kind of money into it and I also don't think it will be replaced. The joys of life and the economy, you know.

I thought I might see a few friends here, but it's Friday night and I guess they have better things to do then haunt the library. Those jerks. How dare they have lives? They're supposed to be available when I need them. Why aren't they waiting for my beck and call? Some people have no consideration.

I used to see Kirsten here, but she moved away and lives in OKC now. I understand she was hired by a library where she has to travel the world to find and protect ancient artifacts. Cool. Of course, the secret nature of her job keeps her from blogging now.

Frenzied Feline also has one of those secret jobs. Not sure what it is, but apparently she can't post on her blog for fear the information will fall into the wrong hands. She also has made her blog invitation only, but so far, I'm on the guest list.

Erudite Redneck has given up blogging for Lent. Nothing going on there right now, but he will return in a couple of weeks. I hate when religion gets in the way of my reading pleasure, but I can respect him for it even if I don't like it. Next year he should give up TV or something like that.

Jean, of course, blogs faithfully, and I'm grateful for that. I'm also jealous, but not because she posts. She and her husband have purchased an old furniture store and are renovating it for possible use as a museum. Very cool! When she posts photos of it, I'm envious of all the space. My poor over-crowded house is busting at the seams! All that lovely storage she will eventually have. Sigh.

Anyway, it's time for me to head home. I hope you have a great night and a wonderful tomorrow. Talk to you then!

Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Amazon.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Barnes&Noble.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at BooksAMillion.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Lulu.com

Buy Murder by the Acre at Amazon.com.
Buy Murder by the Acre at Barnes & Noble.com
Buy Murder by the Acre at BooksAMillion.com
Buy Murder by the Acre at Lulu.com
Buy Murder by the Acre in HARDCOVER at Lulu.com.

Buy MBTA & MBDD items and more at Oakleaf Harbor

5 comments:

Jean said...

How much do you think you'll be able to spend on a car? I'll do some research and see if I can find anything useful.

Jean said...

When I thought I'd be commuting to school, I'd priced an inexpensive, economical, new car and had decided to spring for a Ford Focus. I rented one and liked it. You can get them comfortably equipped for less than $20k. One year old, they are also a little cheaper than off the lot.

Jean said...

Oh, yeah, and browse the new Ford Fiesta. They're bringing it over from Europe, where it's been a highly rated car for several years.

SBB said...

Actually, Jean, I need to find a car in the 6-7K range because that's all I can afford. I'm haunting the car lots and looking for the great buy I know is out there waiting for me! :) I have a little time so the need isn't completely urgent yet. I'm hoping that the car lots will start dumping the 2010s soon and so people will be trading in their cars. Right now the used car market here is a bit empty.

Anonymous said...

You may have to expand your search a bit. People are hanging onto their cars at this point in the Obama administration--er, uh, the economy, I mean--at least here in California they are.