Thursday, October 09, 2008

State of corrections


One set of corrections had been turned into me. Thank you, Shirley, for making the time to proofread Murder by the Acre. I so appreciate it. You're completely awesome.

My roomie is almost finished with his proofing. He made it through Chapter 8 last night so he only lacks Chapter 9. Both he and Shirley found several mistakes, although not as many as I feared they would find. Fortunately all the mistakes are easily corrected, except one pointed out by my roomie that will take a bit of thought and a bit of rewriting, but nothing drastic.

Frenzied Feline has read MBTA once and is now going through it a second time before she turns in her corrections. Now, that's dedication. I look forward to seeing her corrections.

I'm not sure where Jean is at on her corrections, but she and her hubby are taking a well-deserved vacation so I suspect her time is limited. Her corrections would be a nice bonus, but I also understand if she's unable to return them to me by Saturday. Just the fact she was willing to try is an amazing thing, and I'm honored by the attempt.

Likewise, I'm not sure where Kirsten is at on hers. She had commitments on both Monday and Tuesday nights so she was going to start proofing on Wednesday evening. I hope it's going well for her.

Crystal, who did some preliminary proofing for me, has had difficulties in receiving and reading the files I've been sending to her. Her computer is being very uncooperative. I've been tempted to drive up there and beat on it with a baseball bat, but I doubt that would help much, although it would be satisfying. Anyway, I don't know if she will be able to get any corrections to me or not. I hope so.

Nancy is halfway through the book -- she has a paper copy as does my roomie and as did Shirley -- and has scribbled many comments in the margins, she says. She believes she should be able to return the book to me Friday afternoon.

Why the Saturday deadline? Two reasons: First, I need to get the book submitted to Lulu ASAP to have any chance of it being on Amazon and Barnes & Noble for Christmas, and second, I'm attempting to have the book go on sale before October 28, which is when Lulu is going to raise their prices. MBTA will cost about $2 more, and I'm attempting to get it done before then so that anyone who wishes to buy from them will save a bit of money.

All my proofers have my thanks. I hope they're enjoying the story as they scan the pages for errors. I'm not sure if it takes a village to make a book, but a good book does require good proofreaders, and I'm grateful for mine.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know myself well enough that, when I get involved in a story, only glaring errors stand out to me. Now that I know who did it, I can relax. It's a technique that's proven itself today, as I've found some things I missed the first time through. Easy corrections, so far. :)

Anonymous said...

Ack! I just realized--I'm in the Department of Corrections!! =:o

Jean said...

I'm loving the book, but, so far, I've only found minor typo-type corrections. I'm up to .pdf page 141.

Jean said...

Tech, all done.

I'll clean up my comments and should have it to you tomorrow. There's one significant comment and a bunch of little typo corrections.

Despite the significant comment, I think you can work with it.

LOVED the book.