Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Black dog come around

      It's been five days since I posted. I apologize about that. I'll explain as much as I can in a moment. But none of you have commented about me not posting so you're probably fine. Are you? Or are you like me: so overwhelmed with life that it's hard enough to function, much less thinking about posting?
      It's not the holidays. People always like to think the holidays are depressing. I like Christmas, okay? And I'm totally cool with New Years. Of course, I am behind in my projects. The December family newsletter will be mailed tomorrow ... if I'm lucky and productive tonight, and the Christmas cards with their Tales insert will be mailed Thursday. So that's a bit later than usual. But that's okay. People should still get them before Christmas, which is the point. And yes, I still have some Christmas shopping to do. And some Christmas mailing. But it mostly seems manageable at this point, and I will be off work Thursday afternoon when I can finish up some nagging details.
      Murder by the Acre, however, is on hold until after Christmas. I can't seem to muster the concentration necessary -- or the enthusiasm to be honest -- that it requires. That's okay. It will wait, and a bit of time away will only help me approach it with vigor when I return to it. I've already thought of and jotted down notes for a couple of scenes that I think are going to greatly improve the flow of the story as well as give Bernard a vital clue about what is really going on and who's killing who and why. So that's okay.
      If all of this is true -- and it is -- then why has the black dog come around? That's what Winston Churchill called depression: the black dog. I've always thought it was a particularly apt description.
      Probably the lack of sunlight. I miss the sun and warmth. I definitely do not like winter. It drags on me. Weighs me down. I have one of those natural light lamps, an attempt to end or at least moderate this Seasonal Affective Disorder. I can't tell that it has helped much if at all.
      Or maybe bottled anger. I've had many, many, many of my friends who have supported Murder by Dewey Decimal. They have bought the book, attended my book signings, and generally shared my joy in this accomplishment. I appreciate them more than I can so. But then there are other "friends" who have given lip service to being my friend for years, but who didn't buy the book, don't ask about it, who basically refuse to give it any attention. It has dismayed me. And regrettably, there are family members who fall into this category, too. Look, I know it's not War & Peace. I know it's not Harry Potter. But it's my book, a part of me. It's my baby, misshapen as it might be. If a so-called friend can't be happy for me, can't support me and my dreams, then why am I bothering with them? They're not my friends. I don't what they are, but I don't want to waste any more time on them.
      It could be grief. My Uncle Everett's passing left a hole in my family. My aunt, who is doing amazingly well all things considered, struggles daily with his loss and will for some time to come. We have talked several times since and will continue to do so. Sometimes it's hard to listen to her grieve, but she needs someone to listen, and that is something I can do and am proud to do so.
      Or how about health worries? My blood sugar is not doing like it should. Control is proving more elusive that I had hoped. It's frustrating to eat the same things every day, to do all the right things that the experts suggest, and my blood sugar still remains high. Or drops so low that I'm sick. And now I apparently have a stress fracture on my left foot. No treadmill for a while. I have to figure out an alternative form of exercise that I can do. And afford. We have gyms in town with plenty of equipment, but currently I can't afford their fees. Or maybe I can't afford not to.
      And then there are financial worries. Money remains tight. But I'm on pace to pay off another credit card this month. Then in September or October of 2009, I'll pay off another one. Then in June or July of 2010, I'll pay off my second mortgage. And finally in 2011, the first mortgage. So, assuming nothing changes and I continue to receive a paycheck and my health doesn't worsen and so on, I'll be out of debt in 2011. I'll be broke, but I won't be paying outrageous interest to anyone. So there's progress, but it's wearying, this constant penny pinching, this never-ending mindfulness.
      Let's not forget the worries for the world. We humans are incredibly short-sighted, and it doesn't seem to getting better. We wage war, despoil the environment, abuse the weak, worship the rich, cheapen the spiritual, teach prejudice, abhor honesty, and generally behave as if ... sigh. Enough of that.
      Or maybe I'm just a whiny butt who needs more rest. I hope things are going well for you. We'll resume our Christmas countdown tomorrow. Night!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

But none of you have commented about me not posting so you're probably fine.

Ahem. I believe I complained, er, uh, commented on your lack of post at least half an hour before you posted this. So, now the question remains--do you not have email notification when you get comments, or are you just ignoring me?? :::sniff, sniff:::

Okay, I'll give ya' a pass on this one. I hope you're health and your mood get better soon!

SBB said...

Hmm, somehow I missed your comment, Jolene. By the way, you seem familiar, but I can't quite place the name ... :) Were we in the army together

Anonymous said...

Tech, I'm thinking of you and praying for you. I'm excited to get another Tales story! Get those cards in the mail! If I lived closer, I'd help you stuff and stamp. As is, I can only cheer you on!

SBB said...

I hope to mail the cards tomorrow, Gloria. The family newsletters will go out this afternoon. I think.

Anonymous said...

I have worried about the lack of posts too. Ask son we were talking about it last night. But I also know how busy you are right now and hate to push you to post here when you have so many things like cards to send out. I have checked every day I could to see if you had posted yet. And wish there was something I could do to make your life easier.
love you
Roen

SBB said...

Love you, too, Roen. And you're one of my true friends. In fact, most everyone who reads this blog is. I just needed to vent a bit. I feel better.

Anonymous said...

I just want to say I bought your book!!! Don't hurt me!!! :)

SBB said...

Slim, you are safe from the robot monkeys. For now. :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's it--the Army! ;)

Trixie said...

I figured it was one of two things: You were either up to your eyebrows in busy, or the Black Dog had bit you. I'm just trying to hang on until the end of the day Friday myself, just making it through one hour at a time. I did miss you posting, but didn't want to add to any stress by nagging you, since I've not been a faithful blogger either for a while. Maybe after the new year I'll reinvent my life, and my blog while I'm at it.
Meanwhile, I'm sending you Advent vibes of Hope, Peace, Joy and Love.

Anonymous said...

Vent all you want it's your blog. The holidays are stressful enough but add a death in the family and it could be tough. You are a strong person and I know you can make the black dog run back down the street with it's tail between it's legs. As for those who do not buy your book, it's their loss. Killer monkeys, I'm thinking Jumanji. Keep the faith you can make it through.

SBB said...

Yes, Jolene, we had good times in the Army! How I recall the days in those joints in Saigon ...

Thanks for the vibes, Trixie. I'm sending them right back at ya!

Powersleeper, thank you for your support. I'll bring the black dog to heel yet.

Jean said...

Sorry you've been having trouble this time of year. I've been offline and feeling miserable, too.

On the plus side, I've managed to lose six pounds -- always a plus during the holidays.

Hugs and Merry Christmas.