Friday, June 02, 2006

Clear skies Friday

      Good morning. The skies are clear today, the clouds and rain having moved on through. We only got a half inch of rain -- we needed more -- but every bit helps. The air was astonishingly fresh this morning. We are fully into spring now, and green dominates the landscape everywhere you look. Absolutely wonderful.
      I'm mostly over my angst of last night. Buying the computer is a good purchase for me. It will get lots of use and give me hours and hours of enjoyment as well as allow me to continue to write as much as I do. Naturally I wanted to save the money, but this purchase is, at least, justified. Yes, it is, Dave Ramsey. Get off my back!
      Do you have plans for this weekend? I'm mostly going to putter around my house. I will be clearing a space for the new computer and figuring out what parts of the old one will be useful in the new one. I'm wondering what to do with all the programs I have that won't run on XP. (I'm currently using Windows ME.) I have probably forty or fifty games that are meant for 95, 98 or ME only. I haven't played any of them in years. I need to try to sell them in a garage sale or just throw them away. It doesn't make sense to keep things I'm not ever going to use again.
      I'm looking for a new template for Harbor Street. I'd like to continue the nautical theme, but so far, I've not found anything that I like better than the one I have now. Still, don't be surprised one day if you visit and everything looks new. Change is good sometimes. Keeps us from being bored. I try to remind myself of that when life takes an unexpected turn.
      Did you visit the Great Slim Down and learn the Weight Loss Word of the Day today? You haven't? Well, git over there now! We are resolved to be slim and trim, and we're going to do it together. Join us.
      Well, I need to post this and get ready for work. Y'all have a wonderful day.

10 comments:

Gloria Williams said...

I'm going shopping with my sisters Saturday. It's going to be a ladies only day, no husbands or boyfriends. We going to shop till we drop!

Slim said...

Thank god! A new computer for Tech. Finally. :)

Jean said...

In some cases, XP can be configured in a compatibility mode for force older programs to run. It might be worth researching to see if it could help you. My XP book (Microsoft Windows XP Inside Out) has a caution that tinkering with compatibility options can be risky business and should be approached with caution -- the greatest concern is expressed for low level utility programs like anti-virus software or disk partitioning. For something like that, please get get latest version. For games and other apps, you should have less to worry about.

Michelle said...

Yeah! I am glad you did it. Not for us, I'd wait however long it took to see you write again, but for your own self. It isn't some frivolity that you can do without for a while, but a part of what makes you...you. :)

Oh and a Capital G, Slim... ;)

SBB said...

I hope you had a good time, Gloria!

SBB said...

Don't worry, Slym, that I might stop talking about computers when I get my new one. I'll make it a point to drone on and on about it ... :)

SBB said...

That's good to know, Jean. Thanks! I don't know anything about XP, but I guess I'll be learning soon.

SBB said...

Thanks, Michelle! Good to know that my writing has a fan. :)

SBB said...

I do spend a lot of time on it, Randall. Sometimes when people realize how much time I spend on the computer they tell me to get a life. I always reply, "This is my life, thank you very much!"

SBB said...

Good idea, FF! Thanks.