Monday, October 24, 2005

Six-eyes

      I had an appointment with my optometrist after work today. My eyes continue to worsen. Very depressing. I keep hoping that they develop those bionic eyes that the Six Million Dollar Man sported. Wouldn't that be cool!
      I'm extremely near-sighted, but the main problem is that I have keratoconus. Here's what Wrong Diagnosis.com has to say about it: Keratoconus--a progressive thinning of the cornea--is the most common corneal dystrophy in the U.S., affecting one in every 2000 Americans ... Keratoconus arises when the middle of the cornea thins and gradually bulges outward, forming a rounded cone shape. This abnormal curvature changes the cornea's refractive power, producing moderate to severe distortion (astigmatism) and blurriness (nearsightedness) of vision. Keratoconus may also cause swelling and a sight-impairing scarring of the tissue.
      Currently only my left eye seems affected, but my doctor believes it's only a matter of time before I start having problems with my right. Eventually I will need a cornea transplant. (I'll need a good donor, preferably a young man in his early twenties, non-smoker, good eyesight, no health problems. Look around for me. Uh, I did mention the donor has to be deceased, didn't I? So don't pick a friend or loved one.) You can read more about keratoconus at the site for the National Keratoconus Foundation.
      For now, my doctor ordered me some new contacts, and we're going to continue to have me wear glasses and contacts to get the best vision I can. Just call me Six-eyes. But smile when you say that. And make some noise, too, so that I know where you're at.

7 comments:

Linda said...

{{{hugs}}} Adding you to my prayers list. (Sigh) It never seems to get shorter, just longer. :)

Linda

Michelle said...

Ditto. (in Prayer) But you always seem to be "there" anyway. ;)

Gloria Williams said...

Prayers as always, Tech. How long have you had keratoconus? I think you've mentioned it on this blog before.

SBB said...

Good memory, Gloria, but not on this blog. On the one that came before. I'm surprised you remember. I've known for about three years now. Because my eyesight was so bad, I was put into hard contacts when I was barely 11. The doctor thinks that caused it, but there could be a lot of reasons.

Mark said...

My near sightedness kept me out of the service, back during Viet Nam, when the need for men was so great almost everyone was taken. At the time, my eyesight was measured at 20-700 in both eyes, which is highly unusual (that both eyes are exactly the same strength) Last time i had an exam, it was up to 20-800, and now i need bifocals too. hi ho.

I wear contacts when I go trolling for women (LOL), but then I still need eyeglasses to read. (they don't make bifocal contacts as strong as I need them.)hi ho.

Slim said...

Doctors are doing more and more amazing things these days. Maybe those bionic eyes aren't that far off. But I'll look for a donor for you, Techboy. I know several men that the world could do without! :)

CrystalDiggory said...

I remember when you got those contacts! :)