Wednesday, October 05, 2005

The chalkboard of my soul

      I'm frustrated and unhappy. And no, it's not my sex life, thank you very much and keep your mind out of the gutter ... although that's a weird expression. Who is having sex in the gutter? What, you couldn't make to the curb? Just had to have some right there among the drainage?
      Anyway, I am having to cooperate with someone that I cannot stand. I keep trying to find the good in this person, but I can only find ego and selfishness. This person is rude to everyone around them in the guise of being funny. This person, who is highly educated, seems to think that said education gives this person an informed opinion about everything, from nuclear physics to relationships to politics to fashion. And many times, this person is so wrong that everyone is just aghast. Every time I'm around this person, I shudder inwardly, like someone is raking their fingernails across the chalkboard of my soul. (Yes, it has a chalkboard. We diagram things sometimes. Relationships, money, etc. It really is a good metaphor.) And if I don't bleed to death from biting my tongue, it'll be a miracle.
      This person is a poster child for passive/aggressive with that charming tendency to attack you when you least expect it. And if you snap back, you receive that wounded innocence, that "I was only kidding; can't you take a joke?" Hey, yes, I can take a joke, but you're not funny.
      We all have to deal with people like that. How do you do it? How do you keep from losing your mind? Naturally I assume drinking and/or drugs are involved, but what else do you use? Help me or I swear there will blood on my hands soon!
      Okay, okay, this isn't worth getting riled up about. Truly it isn't. In the grand scheme of things, we're talking a mosquito bite. Gotta remember that. Or find somewhere to bury a body. It's could go either way at the moment.
      Actually the best place to bury a body would be a cemetery. This is well-known to organized crime. They like to bury victims with other people. I remember a news story where they had to move a cemetery in New Jersey to make room for a new highway. When they did so, they discovered several graves with more than one person in the casket. Of course, it might have been a funeral home having a two-for-one special, but I don't think so.
      And on that macabre note, good night and pleasant dreams. Cue low, sinister laughter ...

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Unfortunately, I understand your situation. Only difference is that the person I deal with daily isn't "highly" educated. But then she is a woman...er girl, and uses her "looks" to excuse her behavior.

I wish I had some insight to tell you how to deal. I just prayed and vented said frustration in my journal. It seemed to help.

And, ya know, my little roller skate on wheels (mini suv) has fold down seats in the rear. Great storage for those large loads to dump somewhere. Preferably in the dark, late at night on some abandoned lonely road...

Mark said...

The reason that I sometimes refer to myself as humble and uneducated is because I want people to know that education and intelligence are not necessarily synonynmous. Most people i have met who are college graduates have that air of elitism about them. It's like condenscention is handed out with the diploma.

Mark said...

oops looks like i spelled that word wrong. I am a zero on the blackboard of life.

Linda said...

{{{hugs}}} Get them out of your life, if you can. If you can't, spend as little time with them as possible. Life is WAY too short to spend it with people like that. Good luck!

Linda

CrystalDiggory said...

Unfortunately, there aren't degrees in common sense and good manners. You need to dust this person off the erasers of the blackboard of your soul and move on.

Michelle said...

Did I say roller skate on wheels? Aren't all roller skates on wheels? Otherwise they would just be some really ugly lookin' boots.

Sorry for the redundancy. :P

Michelle said...

So, that would make my car "A really ugly boot on wheels".

Yep.

Anonymous said...

Tech, I agree completely with Mama Rose, get this person out of your life ASAP! If this is not possible due to a working situation, then PRAY, a Lot, for the strength you need to just ignore the bad and see what good you can. There were two similar ppl that I worked with, I ended up staying on a night tour of duty, just so I wouldn't have to see these ppl everyday. I am much happier! I love the ppl I work with now. Take care and Good Luck!
Susan2