Tuesday, May 31, 2005

After a while

      In Gene Wilder's autobiography Kiss Me Like A Stranger, he quotes a poem by Veronica A. Shoffstall. The poem moved me with its wisdom, intelligence and emotion. So much so that I wrote to Veronica Shoffstall and asked permission to post the poem on 51313 Harbor Street. I received permission today. I thank her for the opportunity to share it with you.

                  "After a While"
            By Veronica A. Shoffstall

After a while you learn the subtle difference
      between holding a hand and chaining a soul
And you learn that love doesn't mean leaning
      and company doesn't always mean security
And you begin to learn that kisses aren't contracts
      and presents aren't promises
And you begin to accept your defeats
      with your head up and your eyes ahead
      with the grace of a woman, not the grief of a child
And you learn to build all your roads on today
      because tomorrow's ground is too uncertain for plans
      and futures have a way of falling down in mid-flight.
After a while you learn that even sunshine burns
      if you get too much.
So you plant your own garden and decorate your own soul
      instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.
And you learn that you really can endure
      that you really are strong
      and you really do have worth
And you learn and you learn
      with every goodbye you learn ...

Copyright 1971 Veronica A. Shoffstall. Used by permission.
You can email Ms. Shoffstall at rshoffst@bic.org

9 comments:

Gloria Williams said...

What an amazing poem. It goes right to the heart of the matter and says much with grace and precision. I'm glad Ms. Shoffstall allowed you to share it.

Trixie said...

Thank you for going to the trouble to get permission to post this beautiful work!

night-rider said...

Thank you TECH -so much pain and so much strength - it's beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I don't like poetry, but this poem spoke clearly and wisely. I liked it. Thank you for asking for permission to share it, and many thanks should go to Ms. Shoffstall for penning it.

SBB said...

I think it has a lot of wisdom for everyone. These lines resounded in my soul when I read them:
"And you learn to build all your roads on today because tomorrow's ground is too uncertain for plans and futures have a way of falling down in mid-flight."

Gloria Williams said...

The lines that spoke the most to me are these:
"And you learn that you really can endure
that you really are strong
and you really do have worth"

I remember being surprised when my grief didn't kill me when my daughter and then my husband passed away. I didn't know I could go on. God helped me immensely, and I went on and made a life. I learned that I really can endure and really am strong and that my life really does have worth even though my family is not with me now.

Michelle said...

You learn.

I think that is what spoke to me the most. However hard the lesson, you learn.

Thanks Tech.

Anonymous said...

Be sure to thank Veronica Shoffstall for allowing you share her poem with us. It is very good and brings strong feelings.
Randall

Ana said...

Hi!I know a Portuguese version of this poem; I'm trying to find the original but the thing is the version I have is a lot longer - and equally beautiful :) - and I can't find an equivalent original! Do you know if the version you have is unabridged? Thank you. Ana: amalvares@yahoo.co.uk