Friday, March 15, 2013

Sitting

I've been asked many times, "What's the hardest thing about writing?" The answer varies depending on what I'm having to do that day, but today the answer is ... sitting in this chair hour after hour struggling with the words. I do take breaks. More than I should, but sometimes I feel if I don't get up and walk around a bit, get some sun, do something else ... I'm going to go bonkers.

It's a weird pressure when I write like this. I can feel the tension build. When the writing is going well, I'm relaxed and can even forget to eat. You won't think it to look at me, but I often forget meals when the writing is going well. But when it's going like it is lately -- when every word is hard won -- then the tension builds in my neck and shoulders, sometimes triggering a nasty headache.

But still I slog on. The book will be finished. These hard won words are often better than the easy ones. So it's worth the struggle. But I have to get up and walk around a bit now.

No comments: