Friday, September 26, 2008

WoW

EDITED TO ADD: I thought I posted this yesterday. I guess I hit Save Now instead of Publish Post. Anyway, here's yesterday's post with an additional paragraph about last night at the end.

Last night (Wednesday) I did nothing productive. I didn't work on Murder by the Acre, didn't clean house, didn't even watch TV. Instead I played World of Warcraft until nearly 11 p.m. It's the most fun I've ever had on WoW.

I was playing my Warlock, and killing and being killed by monsters over in Westfall. For you non-Wowers, Westfall is a farming community/land filled with Dust Devils, Harvest Watchers, Goretusks, Starving Coyotes, etc. The fields are always golden, hardly any trees, you get the idea. Well, I was bored, having been killed for the umpteen time and going to call it a night when I started watching this group play. Their characters swept through the places I had struggled at. It was a group of hunters with their pets and at least one warrior. It amused me to watch them effortlessly take down the creatures that had killed me so I started following them. No particular reason other than that.

These guys were good. They were part of a guild, and they had played together a lot. Individually, each one was tough, but together they were a killing machine. I had never seen anything like it.

Well, I watched for about ten minutes and then decided it was time to go. Except I got a message from one of the players asking if I wanted to join their party. They had noticed me watching them. I did and played with them for the rest of the evening. It was awesome. I actually went up TWO levels last night and nearly a third. Probably this doesn’t impress you, but ordinarily it takes me about a week to go up a level.

I confess that I didn't do much. These guys swept through the area, killing creatures and bad guys so fast that by the time I targeted something, they had often already killed it. In a party, you share equally in the money and experience points gained, so I got lots of money (just coppers, which are like pennies, but hey, I wasn't getting anything before) and EP.

At the end of the night, they offered to let me join their guild. I accepted on the spot. So now I'm a member of their guild. I'm looking forward to meeting my other guildmates and adventuring with them. Maybe I'll finally see why so many people actually became WoW fanatics.

Thursday night: I worked on MBTA and filing, cleaning house, etc. I also played World of Warcraft some with my new guild. Still fun, but I met more of the guild members and discovered some of them take WoW a bit too seriously. They aren't on there for companionship or fun; they play to gain power and levels, and your conversation and actions better enchance that or they're not interested in speaking to you or being around you. Be that as it may, I'm going to continue to play with them for a while. I like leveling fast, and it would be cool to finally have a character that doesn't die every 15 minutes. Still, I have a lot of writing to do, so we'll see if WoW is feasible with the schedule I have planned.

Tonight I have to write and clean house. My roomie's son and family are going to visit us Saturday. I'm looking forward to playing with their children, Ms. K and Mr. Z. They're going to come by Saturday afternoon, go to the park with us, and then eat out somewhere afterwards. I'm looking forward to it.

By the way, Kirsten is posting over at the Great Slim Down. She's sharing how she won the weight war. Check it out.

I hope you had a great night. And hey, the weekend is almost here! Woohoo! Have a great one. Or even several great ones!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweetie, Um, not sure how to break this to you but as you go up in lv so do the monsters. It is always about the same.WOW assumes you will get better at playing. Glad you finally have fun..and yah some people are like that no matter where you look, don't change, it IS a game and only for fun.
Roen

Anonymous said...

Ugh. Another one falls to an MMO.

Try not to get sucked completely under. ;)

So, I guess you won't be getting much done on MBTA cuz you'll be playing with the big kids or the little kids, or both! ;)

SBB said...

Well, I won't get better at playing and they can't make me, Roen! :)

Actually they aren't coming down until later, FF, so I expect to put in several hours on MBTA. It's so close now. I'm getting more excited and impatient each day. And MBTA trumps WoW. Hands down.

Unknown said...

So far I have avoided World of Warcrack. So far....