Monday, November 19, 2007

XII Good Things

      It's been a bad few days. Some upsetting things. Several of my friends have been experiencing the knocks of life, and apparently life didn't want to leave me out so it dealt me a few blows. Fortunately, I'm the Original Bump-n-Go Boy so I'm still on my feet and moving. Let's share a few good things, shall we?
      I. I received my first royalty check from sales of Murder by Dewey Decimal. Small as it might be, it is nonetheless money I didn’t have before and helps me to continue to make steps forward. Very cool!
      II. Second, the first bookstore that I know is stocking MBDD is:
            Hooked On Books
            104 East Main
            Weatherford, OK 73096

      It's very exciting to think I'm on the shelves. Awesome! Thanks H.O.B. If you're in the Weatherford area, drop by H.O.B. It's one of the nicest bookstores around. Tell them that Stephen sent you.
      III. I finished the November family newsletter this weekend and mailed it today. Time to get working on the December issue.
      IV. I watched the Oklahoma State University Cowboys blast past the Baylor Bears to win 45-14. Now, that's good football. And it puts us in the running for a bowl game.
      V. I'll be off work Thursday and Friday. Let's hear it for holidays!
      VI. I'm on track to pay off a credit card next month. Wahoo! This is the last of the high interest cards and the second of two cards I have left. So come January, I will be down to one credit card (that I hope I will be able to pay off in 2008) and my first and second mortgage. And I should pay off my second mortgage in 2009, if things go well and I stay healthy and the economy doesn't crash, etc. Anyway, I'm making progress, folks. Slow, but sure. I might possible be out of debt completely in 2010 or 2011. How cool would that be! Dave Ramsey works. Don't let anyone tell you that his program doesn't. I'm living proof.
      VII. I'm going to see Mikey this week. Wahoo! He will be here Thanksgiving night and will leave Friday morning with his Papa to travel to Western Oklahoma. Then he will be back Saturday evening and leave Sunday evening. So I get some Mikey time. He's growing up so fast.
      VIII. I've bowed out of NaNo this year. Why is that good news? Because it takes pressure off me AND I will get to devote more time to Murder by the Acre, which desperately needs it. I'll continue to scribble on Grave Tidings because I like Justina a lot, but no pressure other than what I place on me to finish any story.
      IX. I've actually got some people done on my Christmas list. Well, two couples, but it's a good start. Just got to get organized and get the rest of my shopping done. I'm not going to wait to the last minute this year. Too stressful. And I need some calm lately.
      X. I received copies of Murder by Dewey Decimal from Amazon and Barnes & Noble. The covers are a bit different from the Lulu version -- both Amazon and Barnes & Noble use their own presses -- but they look good. And apparently -- unless those sales ranking things are totally messed up, which I'm willing to believe -- people are buying the book.
      XI. After weeks of being all over the place, my blood sugar seems to be settling down. For whatever reason, Slim-Fast made my blood sugar high. It might be the type of Slim-Fast I was using -- Original -- but it wasn't a successful experiment. I did lose a few pounds, but not enough to justify the high sugars. Live and learn.
      XII. Christmas is coming. And however unsophisticated and lame it makes me to feel this way, I still enjoy and revere Christmas.
      And that's the news with me. What's happening with you?

10 comments:

Trixie said...

I got a wonderful, heavy brown paper package from you on Saturday. Just like with "Murder by Dewey Decimal," though, I have to earn the privilege of opening it. Stay tuned! I'm suffering with the start of a cold this afternoon so I'll be taking to my sick bed for a bit. Hopefully I'll be more spritely after a nap and some hot tea. (Yeah, right).
And thank you SO MUCH for my package!

Unknown said...

Your book in a bookstore, another credit card killed, a royalty check for writing, and OSU beats Baylor those are good wins. I look forward to reading MBTA.

Have a good thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

My sister was in Bangledesh when the cyclone hit. She and her family missed the worst of it and still have a roof over their head, which a lot of people over there don't now. They even have electricity again, after only 18 hours. A lot of people in Florida went without it for two weeks when the hurricanes blew through a couple years ago, so she's feeling blessed. She would still appreciate prayer for her and her family and all those displaced by the storm.

Crystal

SBB said...

You know, you don't have earn the right with me, Trixie. You have the right for just being you!

Thank, Kent. Those are good things. Have a happy Thanksgiving yourself.

It's good to know she's safe, Crystal. Of course, she'll be in my prayers. I'm glad God is watching out for her and her family.

Anonymous said...

That's a dang good list, Tech! I can hardly wait to say, "I knew him when..." :)

It's not unsophisticated or lame to appreciate Christmas. We need a lot more of your kind of feelings.

I'll include your sister and her family at my end, too, Crystal.

SBB said...

I hope you get to say that soon, FF. Except it will be "I know him. We're good friends. In fact, he's flying me out to his island for a party with all our Net friends." :)

Anonymous said...

Woohoo!!! Party!

SBB said...

Yup! If I make it big, I'm taking my friends with me!

Anonymous said...

Hurray for Tech! Those are great things. I'm impressed by your drive and courage. Keep on keeping on!

SBB said...

Thanks for the support, Gloria! I appreciate it.