Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Thanksgiving Eve

      I will be alone this Thanksgiving. My back injury doesn't allow me to drive the distance to my sister's, and although I've had a couple of invitations to join friends for the day, I won't.
      Yes, it's depressing to be alone on a holiday, but it's worse to be a third-wheel. Besides, I think I handle being alone fairly well. I'll sleep late, watch the Macy Thanksgiving Parade, write on my NaNoWriMo novel, work on my family newsletter, pull the patron tickets for the next community theater play and print the patron letter to accompany them, do housework, putter around on the computer, watch the Thanksgiving Bond-a-thon on TV, work on my Christmas cards, and generally have a quiet day.
      I told a friend of mine about my plans and she thought they were sad and tried to talk me into joining her family. I said I would think about it so she'd drop the subject, but I won't go. This is not a bad life that I've made for myself. Yeah, I wish it was filled with a wife and lots of children, but we don't always get what we want out of life. Accepting that might be a sign of maturity. I'd like to think so.
      So enough about that. Let's talk of other things.
      Tin Man Dark is about done. I should finish it this weekend, I hope. (And thus maybe even passing Jean and G.Smith for once!) Once I stopped even attempting to produce quality, the quantity took care of itself! The editing and rewriting on it will be quite a job. But before I tackle that, I'm going to finish Darkness, Oklahoma and Dragons Gather. Both are good books, and I need to finish them. I want their stories out of my head.
      I haven't enjoyed NaNo as much this year as I did last year. What with the play, having to start late and catch up, and generally being unprepared, it's been very stressful. I still think it's a good thing and appreciate the drive to put words on paper, but next year, I will plan the book beforehand instead of just winging it.
      When the old computer died, I lost a lot of addresses for my Christmas cards. I need to gather them again. Don't be surprised by an email asking for your address. And if you want a card from me, email your address to me. Just remember the catch: you have to mail one to me, too!
      Why hasn't Amazon.com got any of the Hal Spacejock books for sale yet? That's quite annoying. I'd like to read the second one. I'm buying most of my Christmas list from Amazon.com, and the very least they could do is accommodate me.
      This year, there isn't a new Holly Lisle book on my list. She doesn't have a new fantasy or science fiction book out this Christmas. That's depressing. Holly is an interesting, intelligent and slyly funny author. I don't know why more people are snatching her books up. If you haven't tried her out, you should. You can buy several of her books on Amazon.com or Barnes and Noble. I really, really, really like the World Gates trilogy. The Science Fiction Book Club should sell it in omnibus edition. I think I will write to them and suggest that.
      Amanda Tapping, AKA Samantha Carter of Stargate: SG1, will be joining the fourth season of Stargate: Atlantis. That's good news. Carter is one of my favorite SG1 characters. I hope she becomes a regular cast member of Atlantis. SG1 -- cancelled by the stupid and short-sighted executives at NBC (NBC owns the SciFi Channel) -- will be starring in a couple of movies for direct-to-DVD. More about that when I know more about it.
      My niece and nephew emailed their Christmas list to me a couple of days ago. They're both so smart. They even had smilies in it. Computers are truly changing the next generation.
      Have you noticed this post is getting rather long? Let's have refreshment break.
      Are you back yet? No hurry. Just let me know.
      Okay, we'll go on.
      I always wonder when I write long posts if people actually read the whole things. Perhaps I will start embedding hidden clues in the post worth money. Except not money because I'm broke. What about waste paper? I have lots of that.
      I was disappointed that no one -- as far as I know -- attempted to solve the puzzle of the witch's cottage. Here's the puzzle again: QATOI HQMTC HTRHI YUKRH TOATR TIQEU SENIC EERMB METNE SQETH TLQ. I thought at least one of the Defenders would try. I think I will use this type of code in the next adventure so that they have to try to solve it. I'm mean like that.
      My cable connection has really slowed down. Apparently all the kids out of school are flooding the pipeline. They need to stop and go outside and play! Or do something active. That way, my browsing isn't affected.
      By the way, one of the hardest props for me to find for my play was a crystal ball. Strangely enough, people just don't seem to keep them around the house. I found some on the Net, but they were too expensive for the play's budget. Just remember that if you ever see one in a garage sale. Buy it!
      Well, it's getting late. I'm tired. So I'm going to call it a night. Have a great day tomorrow!
      Night.

5 comments:

Trixie said...

Here's hoping you have a great solitary Thanksgiving, Tech. Holidays are rough for me too, especially Christmas. (My mom died on Christmas eve 1999 and her sister died Dec. 26 five years later -- the day of the tsunami.) I always feel that the gatherings I've been to since then have been "pity holidays" that ring shallow.

Today, though, I am in an unusual circumstance because I'll be spending the day with good friends who are engaged. This is their first holiday with both of their families being together. I'll be earning my dinner by taking photos of the gathering. I hope everyone likes each other!

Michelle said...

I hope your day is grand one Tech. However it's spent, if it's doing what you enjoy, then it's worth it. :) I am there with you in spirit. (most likely wondering where to put all the books! I am weird like that. It's the neat freak in me. Not that your house isn't neat. I wouldn't know. Of course, by looking at my house this morning you wouldn't think so... I'll stop this aside there. Er, here.)

So, Happy Thanksgiving! I am thankful for you, that's for sure. :)

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your day of solitude!

Just wanted to thank you for your support and comments this year and I am grateful for your extended hand in friendship.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Simon Haynes said...

"Why hasn't Amazon.com got any of the Hal Spacejock books for sale yet? That's quite annoying. I'd like to read the second one. I'm buying most of my Christmas list from Amazon.com, and the very least they could do is accommodate me."

I wish they'd accommodate me too ;-)

They just listed book 3, and with my luck that'll be available from Amazon before the other two.

By the way, isbscatalog.com is the US distributor's website. They'll get the Spacejock books before Amazon does, and they sell direct to the public.

Anonymous said...

THERE IS NO THANKGIVING BOND A THON.
I'M SO MAD AT SPIKE TV