Thursday, June 16, 2005

Visit to a naughty planet

      If an alien landed on this planet -- its first mistake -- and started studying us, it would have to think that sex was a pretty silly way to reproduce and that we spent too much time attempting to have sex even when we're not trying to reproduce. All in all, he'd conclude, humans are simply crazy. Then it would attempt to get off this planet ASAAP (As Soon As Alienly Possible), but too late! The Air Force shoots down its spacecraft, and it must flee from the Men in Black (not rappers, the government). It will be aided only by a beautiful newscaster with whom it will eventually mate and create a new race of alien hybrids who will naturally want to conquer the world as they don't enjoy Checkers and there's nothing on TV.
      The poor alien wouldn't understand that we have a whole society based on sex. Our books, movies, music, art, our lives revolve around it. You can't turn on a TV without seeing some ad that says if you use their product, you'll be surrounded by willing males, females and accountants all wanting to enjoy your hot monkey love.
      The Net is partly to blame. Never in the course of human history have so many pictures of unattractive naked people been available to so many people. Truthfully, clothes are a blessing, and more people should remember that they do not resemble Brad Pitt or Angelina Jolie.
      Magazines abound and abounce with pictures of barely clad women. Sports Illustrated clads models in nothing more than drops of water these days, and is making millions selling videos of "The Making of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue," The Making of the Making of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue," and "Revealed: The Secrets of the Making of the Making of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue."
      But let's not forget TV. I mean, it would be nice if we could, but we can't. In the broadcasters' rush to give us what we want, they have pushed the envelope so far that they're climbed right out of it and are stealing the stamp as they go. It's bad enough to even make the Democrats blush -- and they would if they could except their cheeks are simply exhausted after the Clinton years and haven't recovered.
      And there's no rest for the elderly, either. As soon as Bob Dole appeared in that ad for a "male potency enhancer," I realized that the Apocalypse was upon us and not a moment too soon. Unfortunately the Four Horseman are trapped on an island with a bunch of people from a plane wreck.
      I'm frankly tired of this over-emphasis on sex. Isn't it just possible that a person could live a happy, productive life without doing the naughty? Of course not. I'm surprised you'd even think that I'd think that. All conventional wisdom says that we have to have it or we will die. Well, not die, but be seriously unhappy and become Republicans.
      I see no signs of this frenzy abating any time soon. Our only hope is that the hybrids will take over the world soon. I'm just afraid that after they do, they'll give it back.

11 comments:

Gloria Williams said...

Funny, but sadly true!

Anonymous said...

"hot monkey love" LOL. I can't wait to spring that phrase on my wife. Hey baby want some HML?

Trixie said...

Walter Mondale? I must have missed that one. I just remember Bob Dole, (R)Kansas, lamenting that he was unable to meet expectations. So to speak.

Michelle said...

Ha! Ok...I am not leaving a comment.

It would be like walking into a grocery store when you haven't eaten in a week...

SBB said...

Trixie's right. It was Bob Dole, not Walter Mondale. My apologies. The mistake has been corrected.

Anonymous said...

Very funny! Don't tell the other guys, but I'm with you on this. Just to have a nice dinner and good conversation seems too hard for some of my dates.

Erudite Redneck said...

This is a GREAT sentence:

"Magazines abound and abounce with pictures of barely clad women."

:-)

Mark said...

This is what I don't understand. It seems to me the same people that are screaming the loudest for aids awareness and finding a cure for it, are the same ones that promote casual sex the most. Actually, as I write this, it makes perfexct sense.They want as much sax as they can get, so naturally they don't want to worry about consequences. I guess what I meant to say is, if the people who are campaigning for a cure to aids and other std's really want to stop the epidemic, why don't they quit bombarding us with sex everything from every angle? It is a paradox that is inescapable. On one hand they are telling us to have as much indiscrimainate sex as we can, on the other they are telling us that, while abstinence is the best form of prevention of std's and pregnancy, if we are going to do it anyway, use a condom. The hypocrisy overwhelms me. That said, since I am single again, another paradox I don't get is this: If the media (and this time I mean ALL MEDIA, ER,) promotes sex so blatantly, and we all know they do, why can't I get laid?

Michelle said...

Ha!...I love these "individual" conversations.

Trixie said...

Mark, Mark, Mark. *shaking head* There's too much to even begin to respond to your post, so I'll just leave it alone.

Mark said...

Trixie, Why?