Friday, January 14, 2005

Time don't mean a thing if you got that swing

      As most of my regular readers know, I chose to cut back on many of my other activities to concentrate on my writing. That meant saying no to the various groups that asked me to be on the boards or be a member. There are only so many hours in the day and night. To reach my dream, I need to write now, right now.
      But no man is an island, no matter how big our thighs might get, so I kept my memberships active in a few groups, once of which is a theater group. I serve on the board, not much of a hardship as we only meet once a month. And the group has performed two of my full-length plays, giving both much needed shakedown performances. I hope they will perform my new play Figments this summer or next fall.
      The board has been talking about creating a web site for a few months, and finally I volunteered to do it. This is where you shake your head and think, He's just not very bright, is he?
      Working with a committee or with any group of people is harder in many ways than doing it on your own. In this case, I mostly had free rein, but getting an account for the group seemed to take forever as we negotiated back and forth with local providers to get our access donated for us.
      Finally this Monday, we received our web space, although it took until yesterday to get our space registered with the service. Last night I put the page online. Whew. Truthfully it's a fairly simple page, mostly because I'm a fairly simple person, almost a simpleton even (just wanted to beat you to the punchline). But I can already tell that it's going to take some work.
      Oh, not the page itself, but getting the content from the various people to put on the page might be a bit rough. Fortunately the president of the theater group is a no-nonsense, let's get it done person. So I have an ally.
      The curious thing about this is that my writing has improved while I've worked on that page. I mean, I'm getting way over my 500 keepable words. Somehow working on the web page woke my creativity back up. The works have flowed. I've been able to meet my goals and go beyond them. When that jazz touches you, writing is like swing dancing. For me, nothing touches that feeling when words come out gold and you feel like you can go on for hours. It's rare enough in my life that when it happens, I try to write non-stop, giving up sleep if necessary.
      All of this is just to tell you why I didn't blog last night. But I will twice today to make up for it! Gotta to get ready for work now. Talk to you later.

1 comment:

Trixie said...

I understand that completely. I've long held the belief that "the more you do, the more you can do." Falls right into the corollary of "give the job to a busy person if you want to get it done."
And bingo, I think that's exactly why I'm foundering. Too much freedom may not be a good thing after all.