Saturday, March 23, 2013

Not much to say

As a writer, I'm supposed to have a thousand and one thoughts all the time. Words are supposed to flow out of me, a torrent, a flood, but I have to tell you honestly that sometimes I don't have much to say. When I was younger, I used to think those times were a manifestation of writer's block. Now, I know it can simply be because I'm tired. Or have written a lot of words over the past couple of days, and my well is empty.


Or maybe I'm just lazy. I mention that possibility, but my heart isn't it. Although I do think I'm lazier than I should be. Steven Pressfield wrote a book called The War of Art in which he says the force which keeps us from doing creative things or really any endeavor is an actual universal force known as Resistance.

He equates Resistance to Satan. I'm not sure if I buy the book's main premise totally, but it is an excellent metaphor to describe the creative struggle. Perhaps more warlike than many people would prefer, but creative endeavors -- be they writing or art or sculpture or preaching or teaching or parenting really anything that requires us to reach outside the limitations of our being -- are a struggle. I recommend the book. I think there's a lot of wisdom in it.

My point is I simply don't have much to say today, so I'll close.

No comments: