Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Good eating

Last night I made a delicious diabetic and Weight Watchers friendly meal. It was two chicken breasts, cut up in slices, and cooked in three tablespoons of olive oil, fresh garlic cloves, chives, yellow onions, and mushrooms. For a side dish, I had steamed Brussels sprouts and cauliflower, lightly salted with sea salt. I thought it was great, but my roomie needed a bit of soy sauce on his chicken.

Tonight I will saute salmon fillets. (I'll saute them in olive oil, sliced garlic, lemon juice, sea salt, and ground pepper.) The veggies will be steamed spinach and asparagus.

You may be wondering why I'm sharing this. It's part of my new commitment to eat healthy, delicious food. I'm trying to be more careful in what I eat because I'm trying to taper off my diabetes medication. So far so good. I am limiting my soft drinks to one or less a day. I am avoiding bread as much as I can -- sometimes I crave toast, but I'm only putting on no-cal, no carb butter spray on it when I do. I'm drinking green tea flavored with cinnamon at least three days a day. (Green tea because it's so healthy and cinnamon flavored because cinnamon helps control blood sugar.)

So far, so good. My blood sugar is lower now. Not where it needs to be closer, but closer to my goal than since I was diagnosed.

But what brought all this on? I think it was my realization that my doctors are not going to be the ones who get me back to good health. It's going to be me. They don't have time, give me slapdash service, and generally behave like I'm something they need to scrape off the bottom of their shoes. Okay, I exaggerate a bit, but they are no closer to discovering why I'm coughing blood than when I started. So ... I'm beginning to think I have something really weird outside their experience. Maybe not. Maybe it's just a sneaky cancer or other disease that the tests haven't caught yet. The thing is, I can't wait.

No matter what I turn out to be inflicted with, I will be better off for having my diabetes under control and losing weight. I'm the only one that can make that happen. So I'm going to.

I still don't have the test results back from Friday's CT scan. I should learn something tomorrow. Or the next day. Perhaps this will be the test that will give the answer. We'll see, but either way, I'm going to still be working on controlling diabetes and getting better. I can do this.

Hope life is treating you well. Talk to you later.

Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Amazon.com.
Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Barnes & Noble.com
Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Lulu.com.
Order Murder by the Acre in hardcover only at from Lulu.com.
Order MBTA & MBDD items and more at Oakleaf

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

Yay, you!

BTW, you keep cooking like that and I'm gonna invite myself down for dinner one of these days. ;-)

SBB said...

As soon as I get a better handle on how to cook healthy, that would be great, Kirsten! So far I'm working on the food. Next up will be portion control.