Monday, March 27, 2006

Posting from backstage

      It's a post! Yes, I am posting a post. Or blogging a post if you prefer. Or just babbling if we get right down the nitty gritty. I have been chastised by Crystal, who said I should post even though she herself posts only once in a blue moon! Talk about the pot and kettle ... No, really, talk about the pot and kettle. Tell me what's going on with them. Of course, she did blog a post over on the Great Slim Down that discusses her darkest cravings. Shhhh. Don't let her mom know.
      Last night, after play practice, we worked on the stage lights for the theater. We got most of the working and solved a couple of problems we'd been having. It made for a late night. I have been sleepy all day. And it will be a late night tonight, also, as we are doing tech and dress rehearsals for the next three days. Because -- tada! -- we open Thursday.
      What else? My family newsletter? What family newsletter? No, I will get caught up with it next month. I'm just running so far behind. And also I will resume work on Darkness, Oklahoma next month, too. And Crystal and I are talking about updating and expanding one of our one-acts into a full-length play. And the usual work and life and chores and writing and blogging and emailing and printing and submitting and mailing and how I'm looking forward to it all!
      This has been a good play, though. A good cast and a good crew. Pleasant atmosphere. Very little friction. I have to say it's been one of the best ones I've worked on. I was trying to count up the various plays I've been in, written, worked on or directed over the years at school, colleges or community theaters. I think my total stands at about 60 or so. Here's a partial list. See how many you know. Hogwild, There's a Body in the Closet, A Lion In Winter, Man of La Mancha, Long Day's Journey into Night, Aunt Miranda's Will, An Apple for the Teacher, Louder I Can't Hear You, Romeo and Juliet, JB, Macbeth, Oklahoma!, Darkness at the Top of the Stairs, A Man for All Seasons, Becket, Circles, Night Mother, Writers in the Hands of an Angry God, Rumors, Turnabout, The Lady's Not For Burning, Bite My Tongue, Shut My Mouth, A Black Summer Day, Barefoot in the Park, Into the Woods, Mame, Auntie Mame, Mary Mary, Please Don't Eat The Daisies, A Thousand Clowns, Dracula, The Lark, Last of the Red Hot Lovers, Bats Off, Butterflies Are Free, Suddenly Last Summer, Murder on the Rerun and so on. That list represents a lot of hours and a lot of good times. Even if I never make another cent from my theater endeavors, I can't say I've been short-changed.
      And now I need to get ready to go the theater. Talk to you tomorrow. I hope.

10 comments:

Mark said...

I don't know all of them, but i know several. I loved "'Night, Mother"! If I ever committed suicide, it would be for the same reason. Just want to get off the bus before my stop. There's something darkly attractive about controlling your own destiny.

My son's school just performed Oklahoma over the weekend. I was going to go see it but opted to go see the new Larry the Cable Guy (Health Inspector) movie instead. I'm glad I did. It was hilarious.

SBB said...

Humph. You didn't go to Oklahoma! to watch Larry the Cable Guy? The entire state of Oklahoma is displeased ... :)

Michelle said...

Oklahoma!was my favorite to play in. Ahem...I was Ado Annie. It wasn't my first choice as a part, but I was sure glad afterall cause she was so fun to play. "I just cain't say no." :P

Baby with the bathwater was fun too, and my Shakespeare consisted of Twelveth Night and Much Ado about nothing. Well, they were my favorites anyway.

Agnes of God was one of my only serious roles, and it was so controversial at the time. It was pretty challenging.

Anyway, I envy your involvement and accomplishments. I bet the play will be awesome. POst a snippet of video on here if you can.

Erudite Redneck said...

Pore Jud is daid.

Pore Jud Fry is daid!

:-)

Mark said...

Well, Tech, I've seen Oklahoma several times. I hadn't seen Larry's new movie yet. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.

Finish it, ER...A candle lights his haid, he's looking all so peaceful and serene...etc.

jeannie diane said...

I was there when you did Hogwild
Man that was a long time ago.
I knew some of the others also.
I love live theater. But it is not
a love that is active right now.

Michelle said...

Woohoo! Opening day!

Break a leg Tech!

Coach K said...

And why does Superman wear his underwear on the outside of his spandex?

Mark said...

Tech, I tried my hand at a dark comedy pieceover at my place, like what you are so good at, and no one found it funny. Now they think I am going to commit suicide. I guess you have to have the gift, eh?

Mark said...

Hey Tech! I have two suggestions for future plays you can do:

"Happy Birthday, Wanda June", and "Noises Off!"

Happy Birthday, Wanda June, is a dark comedy written by Kurt Vonnegut.

Noises off is a hilarious comedy about the various players in a Traveling play and how they learn to loathe each other after having to perform every nite for several weeks running.