Sunday, February 19, 2006

The game's the thing

      I was raised in a highly competitive family. We were taught to do our best, yeah, sure, but we were also taught to win. Getting the A, the trophy, the prize. That's what we did. Yeah, it was pressure, but the pressure also led me and my siblings to achieve things that we might not have. Impossible to know now since it's not like things could be done over.
      However, over the years, I've come to realize that the winning isn't as important as the playing. I know, I know, that sounds so lame. "It doesn't matter who wins or loses; it matters how you play the game." And I won't go that far. It does matter who wins, but it's also fun to play.
      I've noticed this in playing Scrabble, Hearts, Spades, Monopoly, Chess, etc. It's the interaction of the game, the thrill of playing that I enjoy now. It's nice to win, but it's also a letdown because the game is over.
      My father enjoyed games. He could keep a family Monopoly game going for days by lending money and bending rules. I don't really recall a game ever ending. My mother would finally insist that the game be put up so that she could have her kitchen table back.
      Strangely enough, this relates to religion. I was raised in a faith that emphasized that our time here on earth was a misery and we just needed to hold on until we reached Heaven. World joys were to be avoided, condemned. The reward was the afterlife. In fact, the more you suffered here, the better it would be in hereafter.
      I still remember the first time a Mormon friend of mine quoted a verse from the Book of Mormon that said, "...and men are, that they might have joy." I've always thought there was some truth in that. It was certainly something that my mother believed, that we can have joy in the journey. At her funeral, we sang this song: "There's joy in the journey. There's good times in the going. It's not all in the reaping. There's plenty in the sowing." She would have liked that.
      Sooo ... maybe that's my philosophy in life. To seek the joy in this journey, secure in my eventual destination, but enjoying the sights along the way.
      I really started this to say that I bought a computer game of Scrabble at Wal-Mart for $9.99. Pretty cool. I've played several games this evening. I can see where my spare time is going for a while. Anyway, good night. Take care and have a good week.

12 comments:

Trixie said...

I love this post! I love board games. Scrabble was one I played with my paternal grandmother every time we got together. She had no education past the 4th grade and was rather illiterate, unless we were playing Scrabble. (She was the kind to spell "sure" as "shur" and the like.) Rarely did anyone beat her at the game. Her reading material was the Bible and the dictionary.

Recently my singles group at church started scheduling game nights on First Fridays of the month. The first one was a tremendous hit. I think everyone is trying to recapture that fun of sitting with good friends or family with an activity to serve as an excuse for spending time with one another.

How do you feel about jigsaw puzzles?

Michelle said...

I love board games. Rach and I play quite often.

Ever play email scrabble? You can have several players going at the same time. Although it sometimes takes a while to finish a game depending on how often they check their email. They have email Battleship as well. I think I was addicted to that for a while...

Gloria Williams said...

I like Spades and Scrabble, but I haven't found many down here that like to play them. My family gets bored with them quickly. They would rather watch movies or TV.

Slim said...

Anyone up for a game of Strip Scrabble? :)

SBB said...

Jigzaw puzzles are okay, Trixie, but I don't usually have the patience. And then I don't want to take them apart when they're done.

Scrabble, Spades, Hearts and Chess are my favorites. Monopoly is good, too.

SBB said...

I've never played email Scrabble before, Michelle. How does it work? I once played Chess by postcard, back in the snail mail days.

SBB said...

TV is a great bane on family time, I think, Gloria. Maybe you can convince one of your nieces to learn to play.

SBB said...

I don't know how you would play Strip Scrabble, Slim, and that's okay! I think most of us in the world look a lot better with clothes on.

SBB said...

I've always wondered, FF, why some people can't simply enjoy the game and instead focus on the winning. They must be very insecure. It's not like they win money. At least, they won't at my house.

Michelle said...

You have to have the online version of the game. I think it is on Amazon for 19 or so. I haven't checked Walmart. It might be less there. Anyway, in the days when you could play it for free, I would play thoughtout the day. The company I worked for then were a little more lax about that stuff. It looks just like a board game when you open the email. You can see messages from those you are playing with, it shows the turn they took and their accumulated points. Then, you take your own turn. You choose new tiles, make your word etc...

Lots of fun. I love games though. Battleship (and I don't know if you like that game) Is just like that. Looks just like the board on your screen. Soooo much fun too.

I got Rachel a few new board games for Christmas last year. It's so much better than TV. I used to play Scrabble with her a lot when she was younger. It helped develop her vocabulary...

Hope you have fun with your game. If you ever want to play online, Let me know!

Michelle said...

What I like most about playing games, be it board or online gaming, is the fellowship. Of course, I like to win, but the getting there makes it so worth while. ;)

SBB said...

"Getting there makes it so worthwhile."

Exactly, Michelle, exactly.