Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Auditions and review (Rebel Ice)

      The auditions went okay. I have enough people to cast the play except for one role if no one else tries out. It was funny how it turned out. I had worried about having enough men try out, but I had plenty of them. I thought I'd easily have enough women try out; naturally I didn't. I hope that I have more women audition tonight. If so, I will be able to make the final cast decisions tonight. And we will start rehearsals Wednesday night. I hope.
      I'm afraid that, for the next month, the play will be all I'll be talking and obsessing about. Bear with me. I'm sure I will come out of it with a few disasters that will make funny stories. That does seem to be how my projects go.
      I intended to write a longer review of Rebel Ice, the new SF book by S.L. Viehl. I haven't had time to do so, but here's a short one. It's good, intelligent, exciting science fiction that focuses more on relationships than hard science. In other words, you don't have to hold a doctorate in physics to enjoy it. It's part of a series (Stardoc), but the book stands alone well. If you've read the previous novels, it will make the experience richer, but if not, it's still a good read. I hope I don't spoil it for you to say that Viehl takes a tremendous chance with a main character. I'm curious to see how it plays out in future books. Click here to purchase it from Barnes and Noble. But be warned. If you read one Stardoc novel, you'll want to read them all. Dr. Cherijo Torin grabs on you and doesn't let go.
      And that's all for now. I'll try to be back later tonight and let you know what happens.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Well, if I lived closer I would try out. I think...it's been a while since I did any of that stuff.

Hope you find your girl!

SBB said...

You'd try out if you were closer ... Frenzied would work backstage if she were closer ... That dang geography is the bane of my existence! :)