Friday, January 14, 2005

A bridge to cross

      I spent the evening working on the new web page for the drama group only to discover that the server wouldn't let me upload any of the changes. Sigh. I saved everything on my hard disk and will work on it tomorrow afternoon.
      I have developed a sore throat and lost my voice almost completely. I've gargled with warm, salt water and wrapped my throat with a scarf. Do you know of any other home remedies that work? Please share.
      A friend of mine brought up an interesting question the other day. He wanted to know how I would react when I lost my anonymity on this blog after my book was published. Hmm. Of course, a lot of people who comment on this blog already know me. Crystal and I have known each other since the fifth grade, ER and I almost as long. I went to college with Randall, Powersleeper and Amberclear. I met CJ and Texan Susan when I moved to my town, although Susan has since moved to the Gulf of Oklahoma. Thus a fair number of people already know my secret identity of Bruce Wayne ... I hadn't thought much about it before he mentioned, and I told him that I would worry about it after I sold the book.
      But his point is well taken. Authors have to promote their work. It puts their names and their lives out there. Most fans are cool, but you always have those trolls and weirdos. Authors have to put up with a lot, including folks asking for their publishing help. I figure authors have enough on their plates as it is. I don't attempt to contact published authors. I've gone to book signings to get their books signed, but I don't attempt any conversation more than that. I think it's rude and pushy.
      Some authors do help others to get published. It's major cool when they do so, but it should be their choice. They shouldn't be hounded into it. Just because they write a book we like, doesn't mean we own them. I've read horror stories on many authors' sites, including one Oklahoma author who had to contact the FBI for her safety. Some people are just plain weird.
      But how will I react when that time comes? Well, according to my nature, I guess, and to the best of my ability. But that's a bridge I'll cross when I get to it and not before. Night!

4 comments:

Trixie said...

I think you'll manage just fine. And if things get too tough, just circle the troops from here and we'll become your body guards.
I must say I do feel like the odd woman out, being one of the few who doesn't know you "in real life." Hmmm. Maybe I'll be your practice stalker. Not really a threat, but you can test out your ADS (Author Defense System.) LOL!

Liv 2 Cre8 said...

And maybe me makes three!

Anonymous said...

...and one standing on her head in the land downunder! Try Garlic+C & Horseradish tablets (all natural) available here from supermarkets, chemists and probably health food stores. I've found they relieve symptoms as well as the chemical 'cold and flu remedies'without the side-effects.

night-rider said...

That was me above - my computer has forgotten who I am in my absence!