Thursday, October 01, 2009

Interesting times

There is an ancient Chinese curse that says, “May you live in interesting times.” I am, regrettably, living in interesting times. Here are my interesting times in no particular order.

1. My job remains stressful, but it was better this week. Most people have heard of my boss’s death now, so the questions and the retelling of the tragic event have lessened. I’m hoping next week will continue that thread.

2. The overall future of my job remains in doubt. However, it seems I will remain employed for a few more months or longer, depending on how things work out. It’s definitely not a time during which I can spend unnecessary money. I’m trying to rebuild an emergency fund after having it wiped out my medical bills and tests this summer.

3. My roomie got the flu and had been at home, sick as he can be. He finally went back to work today. I’m not sure if it wasn’t too soon, but like most of us, he has to work for a living. It’s all well and good for the health authorities to say you should stay home, but if you work hourly or have a job where there isn’t anyone to do your work while you’re gone, you have to go to work if remotely able. That’s life.

4. Dealing with my personal grief at my boss’s passing has been hard. He was part of my life for 20 years, and I had worked for him for 17 years. There is an empty space in my life where he fitted.

5. My health problems continue, and the doctors still have no idea what’s causing them. They throw medicine at me in hopes that some of it will stick. So far, I seem to be holding my own – even gaining ground – but I remain worried that my problem is some disease that is life-threatening and no one is correctly diagnosing it.

6. I can’t seem to get Murder by the Mile going. I can't get interested in the story, even though I was terribly excited by it a few months back. If that book isn't going to come yet, I need to get to work on another one. It's been too long since I've lost myself in writing. I need to do that again.

That's enough for tonight. I hope you're having a good life lately. And may you live in uninteresting times!

Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Amazon.com.
Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Barnes & Noble.com
Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Lulu.com.
Order Murder by the Acre in hardcover only at from Lulu.com.
Order MBTA & MBDD items and more at Oakleaf

No comments: