Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Poem: Beyond the Bone

Beyond the Bone

It's not that I doubt your pain now;
I have held you through tears and howls.
It's not that I've stopped loving you;
I love you more than life allows.
It's not that I think you don't try;
God knows how many therapists
and prescriptions you have endured.
It's none of these easy things.
But I have grow weary of pain,
tired to the bone and beyond it.
I can carry you no longer.
If you doubt me, if you believe
my strength will sustain, know this:
when you talk about suicide,
I wonder every now and then
if I would feel grief or relief.

Copyright 2009 Stephen B. Bagley. All rights reserved. From the poetry collection EndlesS, available from Amazon.com and Lulu.com.

Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Amazon.com.
Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Barnes & Noble.com
Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Lulu.com.
Order Murder by the Acre in hardcover only at from Lulu.com.
Order MBTA & MBDD items and more at Oakleaf

2 comments:

Rain said...

This is a very powerful poem and I know that many people will be able to relate to its message.

Danna Hobart said...

That last line is like a punch in the gut and brought to mind the words of John Keats: "Poetry... should strike the reader as a wording of his own highest thoughts, and appear almost as a remembrance."