Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Maybe harsh

I keep thinking writer's block is just another name for laziness. I know that's harsh, but it seems I know so many people who want to write a book, scribble a few lines, talk about the book unceasingly, but when it comes to actually putting words on paper, they never do it. Writing a book is work. Hard work. And would-bes don't like applying their butts to the chair and their fingers to the keyboard. Especially when there's so many other exciting things to do in the world. They can take writing courses and talk in chat on writers' sites and blog and generally do anything other than actually write. Which is okay if it makes them happy, but it sure doesn't get a book written.

Or maybe what I perceive as laziness is actually the result of a block. Maybe they have a fear of success. Some people do. Or perhaps their vision of the book in their mind is so clear that, when they have to use lowly words to tell about it, they can't handle the difference between their clear shining vision and how their words portray it. I know I've felt that way. Action that seemed to vigorous in my mind often just lies there on the paper. Of course, that's what rewriting is for.

I do know that, for me, writing courses, chatting on writers' sites, etc., doesn't get anything done, however much I may enjoy them. I don't know any other way to write other than to actually write. It's a dogged, determined pursuit. I don't know any other way to write than to simply write. It's like all things: easier in the telling than in the doing.

And why am I thinking that? Well, today at work, someone dropped by and saw my display about my books and proceeded to tell me she would love to write a book, she had a great idea, and she'd let me write it if I wanted to.

She said, "The idea is the thing, I know."

I told her that I had too many books started and would have to pass.

She said, "Oh, you'll hate yourself when I find someone to write it. It's a best seller."

And maybe I will.

But I doubt it.

Have a great night. Talk to you later.

Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Amazon.com.
Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Barnes & Noble.com
Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Lulu.com.
Order Murder by the Acre in hardcover only at from Lulu.com.
Order MBTA & MBDD items and more at Oakleaf

5 comments:

Jean said...

I doubt it, too.

SBB said...

I don't think, Jean, that I properly conveyed her tone; she was hateful when I told her that I'd pass on her great idea. So even if I had wanted to work like a dog for someone else, I wouldn't have wanted to work for her!

Unknown said...

Having a good idea is the easy and even enjoyable part of writing. Putting pen to paper or fingers to keyboard is where it all happens.

SBB said...

Exactly, Kent. Exactly.

Jean said...

I've heard about people who think they should be worshiped for their wonderful book idea, but, thankfully, I haven't encountered one yet.

Most non-writers fail to realize that the idea is the easiest part of writing (and, yet, I struggle with them...). Getting the idea out of your head and successfully conveyed on paper is the part that rips your soul apart and causes months of agony.

You were kind to just politely decline.