Saturday, January 27, 2007

Plans on a Saturday

      Yesterday I said I'd be back tomorrow, and here I am if only to make sure I'm not a liar. But there's not much to tell you. I spent the day doing laundry and other housework, running errands and writing. I have another family newsletter (the November issue) almost ready to go. I will print it tomorrow and mail it Monday. Then I will start on the January issue and hope to finish it next week. After that, the February issue (on time for once). Then I go into rehearsal with The Vigil. Auditions for The Vigil are Monday and Tuesday, February 19 and 20. We go into rehearsal February 21. Which means I'll be living at the theater until Sunday, April 1, the last day of the production.
      The Vigil is Easter-themed. It's an interesting twist on the familiar story. The various participants in the Passion of Christ gather in a courtroom and are subjected to cross examinations as attorneys attempt to prove or disprove the resurrection of Christ. It packs quite a wallop and doesn't pull punches for either side. I won't tell you how it ends, but I think the end is surprising, particularly for when the play was written (the late 50s). The material is sound, and if I get a good cast, I think it will intrigue and surprise the audience. At least they won't be bored.
      Until that time, I will be frantically working on Darkness, Oklahoma. I am filled with urgency to complete it. When I'm not working on it, I'm thinking about it, and I find myself resenting anything that takes time from it. My books are, I think, my future, and I want that future now. And the only way I will have that future is to write, write, write.
      But it's nearly midnight now, and I'm tired. So I'm going to call it night. Y'all have a great day tomorrow. Talk to you soon.

1 comment:

SBB said...

I promised to direct this play at the beginning of this season. This will complete my obligations.