Wednesday, April 04, 2012

D is for Devouring

We've all met people that have a devouring personality. They suck the energy out of everyone they meet. A friend calls them "energy vampires." I've become very conscious of these lovely folks over the past few months. I can't tell you the times that I've spoken about a new project only to have the hearer start shooting holes in it immediately, even though I didn't ask them to point out the shortcomings.

I'll be the first to admit that everything needs editing, refining, polishing. But it has to exist before it can be fixed. These people keep new things from existing.

Not that energy vampires are new. They've been around since the beginning of human history. They ridiculed the Wright brothers, mocked Henry Ford, scoffed at NASA, and generally have been a huge hindrance to anyone attempting to do anything.

I have to watch myself on that. I've been trying to give positive opinions to people instead of negative ones. Not easy for me since I have this constant voice in my head that belittles me, and it spills over into my interactions with other people.

It's important to me that I support other people. That I help make their dreams possible in what ways I can. I don't want to do to them what has been done to me. Their success does not diminish me; in fact, it lifts me up because it shows what can be possible.

What about you? Do you lift up people? Or do you suck the joy and life from your sister, brother, parents, children, friends and other folks?

If you don't change, just remember what usually happens to vampires. Their end is never pleasant.

Buy the new edition of Murder by the Acre here!
2012 Oakleaf Harbor Christmas Cards now on sale!
Buy Floozy and Other Stories at Amazon.com
Buy Floozy and Other Stories at Barnes&Noble.com
Buy Floozy and Other Stories in paperback at Lulu.com
Buy Floozy and Other Stories in hardcover at Lulu.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Amazon.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Barnes&Noble.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at BooksAMillion.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Lulu.com
Buy Murder by the Acre at Amazon.com
Buy Murder by the Acre at Barnes&Noble.com

Buy Murder by the Acre at BooksAMillion.com
Buy Murder by the Acre in soft cover at Lulu.com

Buy Murder by the Acre in hardcover at Lulu.com

Buy Floozy, MBTA & MBDD items and more at Oakleaf Harbor

No comments: