Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Disconnect

Disconnect
By Stephen B. Bagley

We don't connect in any way.
No one speaks your name.
No romantic pictures stain the walls.
Years stand between you and me.

But I see the way of walking
of a complete stranger
and my traitorous heart leaps,
hopeful breath catches in flight.

Do you think of me at all
during the endless tasks of day?
Or in the darkest hours of night,
do you too lie awake and wonder?

You were my first lover,
and you said I was yours.
You nearly were my last,
but I wasn't yours.

With all that stands between us now --
years, words, new loves, and lovers --
still you lurk in the shadow places.
A final disconnect is what I need.

So old lover, ancient broken heart,
memories from a dream of another life,
tormentor and remembered sorrow,
time for me to let                        go.

January 2013

(Copyright 2013 by Stephen B. Bagley. All rights reserved. No copying without express prior written permission. Thank you for reading.)

No comments: