Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Junkie

I think it’s time I confess something ... I have a monkey on my back. No, his name isn’t George. No, I have an addiction that I’ve struggled with for years, and it’s time to come clean. Don’t judge me. Try to understand my torment. It’s this: I’m addicted to office supplies.

Yes, that’s right. Office supplies. I. Love. Them. Pens, pencils, folders, notebooks, staplers, erasers, rulers, three hole punchers, paperclips, envelopes, sticky notes, letter openers, tape dispensers, labels, journals, ledgers, and correction tapes. Those are just the things on my desk. I have much more, piled on shelves in my hallway and in my closets.

I even have variations on the items I do have. Pens in all colors and sizes. Pencils with movie themed designs on them. Reams of specialty papers from a dozen different stores. Paperclips of all sizes, including a jumbo one that you could use as crutch if you had an office supply injury.

Other people drive to Oklahoma City or Tulsa to go to the theater or to eat at a 4-star restaurant. I go to visit Office Max. Or Office Depot. When my town got a Staples store, I was there on opening day. I wandered the aisles, enraptured by the gleaming merchandise, all the glorious office supplies! It was mine, all mine! Two clerks followed me with an oxygen tank and mask just in case I was overcome.

I’ve often wondered if the reason I chose to become a writer and dabble in graphic design was because then I’d have a good reason to collect office supplies.

But don’t think I’m the only one with this curious bent in their personality. I see other people in the aisles at Staples, their carts filled with wonderful gadgets and enough paper for seven high schools. Our eyes meet briefly. We know what’s going on, but we pass silently, me on the way to the display of computer-printable greeting cards, they to their particular addiction.

We’re stronger than this yearning, of course. We know we could turn away from the clearance bin items. We don’t really need a stapler with a bright blue metallic finish or heavyweight envelopes with clever geometric designs or colored folders for our files. We always know we can stop if we want to.

But we don’t want to stop. And I’d be careful if I were you even suggesting it. Some of our monkeys carry letter openers. Sharp ones.

Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Amazon.com.
Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Barnes & Noble.com
Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Lulu.com.
Order Murder by the Acre in hardcover only at from Lulu.com.
Order MBTA & MBDD items and more at Oakleaf

11 comments:

Trixie said...

Are you kidding? I need to replenish my supply of colored file folders! Hi, my name is Trixie, and I am an office supply junkie too.

I remember exactly when my addiction started. It was fourth grade science class when I had an assignment to create an effective study space. OMG I can remember exactly how everything was placed on my ideal desk. I have tried so hard to recreate that, to no avail. There was a paper clip cup, a pencil cup, a place for the stapler next to the tape dispenser. The top desk drawer held the paper supply. And a pair of scissors was aligned with the left edge of the work surface.

Miss Lundy was an enabler.

Anonymous said...

Hi, my name is Frenzied Feline, and I am an office supply junkie, too.

I don't remember when my addiction started. I think it started with the art-y supplies and just exploded from there. It's a daily struggle to keep it curbed so I don't outgrow the space I've set aside for my stash. This time of year is particularly difficult. Target and Wal-Mart turn their garden departments into back-to-school departments--oh, the pain!

Is there any hope??

SBB said...

Trixie, Miss Lundy probably didn't realize what she did to you. If she's still teaching, perhaps you should send her a note ... on nice heavy cotton paper ... with a matching or contrasting envelope ... or we could even make one for her!

SBB said...

Frenzied, I admire your strength in keeping your supplies from outgrowing their space. Mine have outgrown their space and are making inroads into the living room!

Trixie said...

I'll get my special box of Crane's out. However, I'm not sure Miss Lundy is still with us. That was ... 45 years ago? GAH! And she was old then. Poor Miss Lundy.

SBB said...

Trixie, you thought of her as old, but she was probably in her 30s. She might be in some nursing home right NOW pushing office supplies.

Jean said...

I can quit anytime.

Anonymous said...

My addiction started with spiral, college-ruled notebooks. Is there anything more beautiful than a fresh, clean notebook? A place where you can begin your stories, write down your innermost thoughts or make a to-do list (another addiction of mine)?

Crystal

SBB said...

But you don't want to quit, do you, Jean?

SBB said...

Crystal, you have the addiction. Regular people don't think that way. Pity them.

Jean said...

Heck, no!

But I could. Really. My husband teases me about it unmercifully. We're making a running joke out of it.