Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Mojo

      Last night, I told my roomie about the problems I've been having finishing Murder by the Acre. He listened for a while and then said, "You've lost your mojo." And he was exactly right.
      If you ever watched Stargate: SG1, you will remember the episode in which the warrior Tealc lost his mojo, as Jack put it. Tealc had to nearly lose his life in a labor camp before he recovered it.
      What is mojo?
      Faith.
      Faith in one's self and abilities. The belief that you are capable, talented, strong, and so on.
      I've lost faith.
      It started in January of this year. I was sick for all those weeks, and MBTA started slipping away from me. So did this blog. I can't say why for sure. Maybe it was all those miserable hours staring at the ceiling. I have a regrettable tendency to replay my failures -- of which I've accumulated a pile over the years -- when I can't sleep or am ill.
      Maybe the battle with diabetes did it. I had so many setbacks, so many missteps, that I mostly stopped trying. I give lip service to it, but that is all. I know I got tired of all the endless carb counting and the finger sticks and the medications that I couldn't afford. And my efforts seemed to do nothing. I lost a few pounds, then couldn't lose any more. My blood sugar seemed arbitrary, up one day, down the next, even though the days were as identical as I could manage.
      The day-to-day stress and strain my job places on me has to figure in there somewhere. Many days I dread going to work. I sometimes flinch when the phone rings and I see certain customers are calling. I live for the weekends, and that's not a good way to live.
      Then EndlesS just about did me in. I was stupidly unprepared for its terrible sales. While I didn't expect it to be the success that Murder by Dewey Decimal was, I also didn't expect to sell fewer than 15 copies. I was hoping for about 50 or 60, but EndlesS was soundly ignored by almost all my friends and family alike. I desperately needed the ego boost, the reassurance I had something to say that other people wanted to hear, particularly since I was wrestling so hard with MBTA.
      Family illnesses, my sister's battle with cancer, the death of my uncle, the sorrow still felt by the loss of my mother and father, losses that accumulate. I'm not sure I deal with anything; I just learn how to ignore the sorrow, how to drown it out with work and writing, but it sits in the corner, waiting for those unwary moments.
      Maybe I'm just getting older.
      Tomorrow morning, I will have a birthday. I've always made a big deal about birthdays. You know how people regard January 1st as the time to turn over their lives and make big changes. My birthday has always been that time for me.
      But tomorrow, my brother-in-law has surgery. Tomorrow, my younger sister will continue to suffer from the aftereffects of her surgery. Tomorrow, my niece -- my oldest sister's daughter -- will still be in another hospital. (Yeah, that happened yesterday, my niece being put in the hospital. This morning they moved her to ICU. I did talk to her this afternoon, but so far, they’ve not been able to get her symptoms under control -- not that I'm surprised because the hospital she's in has to be one of the worst hospitals in the United States.) Anyway, family members are suffering, and that, my friends, is the hardest thing of all. I can't help them, can't fix them, can't do anything other than pray and frankly that doesn't feel like enough.
      But tomorrow I will have a birthday. I will be at work for most of the day. My roomie and other friends will give me some funny cards. I'll probably have lunch with a friend or two. I'll wait to hear from my family. I'll pray for good reports from the various doctors. That will be my birthday.
      Except for one more thing.
      Tomorrow morning, I will get up, and despite personal failures, diabetes, family tragedies and illness, mojolessness, stinky job, rotten health, global warming, war in Iraq, the sun burning out in five million or so years, I'll still be right here.
      Praying, hoping, believing against all intelligent thoughts otherwise, striving, writing, dreaming unreasonable unlikely things, losing, winning, loving for all the wrong reasons...
      Living.
      Still here.
      I'll still be here.

Eleanor: We're jungle creatures, Henry, and the dark is all around us. See them ... in the corners? You can see their eyes.
Henry: And they can see ours. I'm a match for anything. Aren't you?
From The Lion In Winter by James Goldman

7 comments:

Trixie said...

Babycakes, I'm still reading your post but stopped dead in my tracks when you said "finger sticks." Honey, you need to do alternative site testing -- I do it on the heel of my hand and it is sooooo much more comfortable than the finger stick.

You just use the clear tip of the lancing device. And shame on whoever taught you testing and didn't mention alternative site testing. It'll change your whole outlook, well, except for the costly medications part.

Now I'll go back to finish reading the WHOLE post. Who knows, I might have something else to say in another paragraph or two...

Trixie said...

OK. I'm back.
That sorrow thing? I'm right there with you. I think the reason I've moved back here to my hometown is to do battle with some ghosts. I'm not sure. I just know that the pain is still there, the sorrow still overwhelming at times. I don't know -- I guess I'm just waiting for it to be GONE. But apparently it only slips out of the room for bathroom breaks now and then before returning. It pokes at me and says "don't forget me. big dark shadow hanging over your life here." Yeah. I'll forget. Sure I will.
Tech, I've got a couple of family members going through some health and other problems right now too. One cousin is scheduled for an incredibly delicate cancer surgery tomorrow. In California. Which had an earthquake today. I worry that HE'S lost confidence today and wonder what happens with surgeries in times like that. Do they cancel? Reschedule? Go on with them? Yikes.

I'll close by wishing you a birthday blessing such that you'll never see it coming. May you know a day of peace, of incredible wellbeing, a day of refreshing renewal. May a cool breeze greet your face in the morning and bring you such joy that you find yourself smiling for no other reason than that God Himself created you and knew your name before you were born. May you be overwhelmed with waves of love all day long from all the people in this world that hold you dear -- your family, your roommate, Mikey, all of us on the Internets who love your blog.
And we won't look if you decide to have a special dessert.

Anonymous said...

What Trixie said!!! :) Let me add I believe in you and have faith in your talent, sweet spirit, intelligence, soul, and most definitely in your writing!!! This is the only blog I read regularly and it's because of your writing. I know you can finish MBTA and I know I will enjoy it!!!

Jean said...

I think it's particularly hard when your family is suffering. You want things to be better, but there isn't anything you can do, and you feel so helpless. Add everything else onto it, and it's really tough to keep your chin up.

But you can do it. I've been testing my glucose levels just out of curiosity, and you're right, sometimes it just doesn't seem to make sense why it does what it does. I'm just getting started thinking about ways I can balance my diet to keep the levels more consistent. Somehow, I'll get there, and you can, too.

I've lost 16 pounds since I've retired, but it's slowed down now. I want to keep it off and kickstart it in a downward direction, so I'm right there with you on that front. The key -- never give up. You might start over ever hour, but keep on trying.

Hugs.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful sentiments from all respondents. Stephen Curtis Chapman said in a song, "There must be more to this life than living and dying,...". And there is. We are all loved by one greater than all, one who knows our sorrows and pains and has suffered more than these because he loves us. He will support us, comfort us, help us, if we let him. Have faith in Him alone.

I find that reaching out to others in need is he best way to forget my problems.

Know that you are loved and have friends. We will get through this together. Promise.

Michelle said...

I've read this post, re-read and yet read again.

I think we live these parrallel lives in some way.

*sigh*

I wish I had some kind of awe inspiring advice or words to give you. But, I've been in the same kind of boat. The waves are little different of course, but just as turbulent at times.

All I can say is keep going. As you always do, just keep going and breathe.

SBB said...

Thank you all. I treasure your support and your words. We will keep moving, and we will be all right. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon.