Sunday, October 22, 2006

New music

      The other day I downloaded some new tunes. "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol, "Move Along" by The All-American Rejects, "Unwritten" by Natasha Bedingfield, "Strict Machine" by Goldfrapp, "Breaking the Habit" by Linkin Park, "Walk Away" by Kelly Clarkson, "You and Me" by Lifehouse, "I know" by Max Serpentini, and "Streetcorner Symphony" by Rob Thomas. I like them all, but "Chasing Cars" and "I know" are my current favorites.
      I like listening to music as I write. I have about 500 songs on my computer, and I start up the music player and let it go. I've spent all day listening to my computer. Probably a waste of computer power. I can't remember the last time I turned on my living room stereo, other than when I'm watching a DVD and running the sound through it, the poor man's answer to expensive home theater systems.
      The big advantage of the computer over the stereo is that I can listen to the songs I like and not have to skip those I don't. A lot of groups just have one or two songs on an album that I like. Of course, I can burn a CD with my favs, and I do have many such compilations, but it's hard to beat the computer for convenience.
      I like ITunes, but I confess that I usually download from BuyMusic.com or Walmart.com. Both of the lesser services have bare bones interfaces and make it easy to buy a song or two. ITunes always feels like it takes more effort. Perhaps if I had a Mac, it will be different.
      Today I signed up to The Freesound Project Forums. I needed some sound effects for the play (Murder at the Witch's Cottage, opening November 1-5, if you've forgotten and I don't see how you could have), and TFPF offers sound effects for no charge as long as you abide by the Creative Commons license (which I am). You can find the TFPF here. Registration is free and useful if you ever need some sound effects. They seem to have a good selection.
      There are also sound effect CDs. The local theater group has a couple and I have several. I got most of the sounds needed for the play from those CDs. I moved all the sounds that I needed to one CD. The sounds needed included: telephone, dog howl, grandfather clock chiming, ticking of a beetle, gun shots, several different storm sounds such as thunder and rain, howling wind and so on. It actually has about 20 sound effects. More than I realized until I sat down and started putting them together.
      We start tech rehearsals tomorrow night. Then we'll see how it goes with all the lights, effects and costumes. I think it will go okay. I'm running the sound through a computer so that should go okay. The lights still need to be rigged and the light board programmed, but those are minor really, compared to what we've already done.
      Just two more weeks and the play will be over. We have seven nights of rehearsals before it opens. Basically all the directing of the actors is done. I'm just a cheerleader now, just giving them a few reminders and helping when they get confused. This is the point where the cast either spreads their wings and flies or doesn't. I've mostly done all I can do.
      I get a little frustrated at this point. I look at things I should have done differently earlier and question what I've done. I try to stretch myself in ways to keep up the actors' spirits and enthusiasm. I mostly pat shoulders and give pep talks. I wonder if coaches feel this way as they send their teams on the fields. You have to trust in what they've learned and their own desire to succeed, and you say a little prayer.
      I'm listening to my new music now. I'm going to have to check out more music from Snow Patrol. I really like "Chasing Cars." I hope things are going well for you. Have a great Sunday.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

We're like so behind the i-music age. we don't own any ipod or such infernal devices and have yet to explore ANY downloadable music.

SBB said...

I wish you could see it, too, FF. It's that dang geography again.

SBB said...

Joel! Man ... do you even have indoor toilets? :)

; said...

Hi, this may sound a bit awkward..but can you please mail me the song "I Know" by max serpentine at mhmolla@gmail.com ? :) I've been searching for this song all day long after first listening it on this cheap B-movie flick called "Bloodsuckers". But Max seems so be such an indie artist that no one bothered to host his songs online (otherwise, our mighty google would've found it). Anyhow, I'm really desperate for this song..so if it doesn't bother you to help out a fellow blogger..please do.