Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Yesterday

      We had a wonderful time with Mikey. He's a bright boy, mischievous and funny. He likes to play and likes to play all the time. He also likes to be read to. One of his favorite books is Where is Baby's Belly Button? WBBB has flip up pages that reveal various things that the book asks you to find. My sister gave him the book for Christmas, and he remembers that and always reminds me that she did. We also have a Winnie the Pooh book that he enjoys because it plays various sounds and he gets to push the buttons. It's a cool feeling to read to him. I'm hoping that he will love books as much as I do.
      We took him to McDonalds for a Happy Meal at lunch. Naturally he didn't eat much of it; instead we went outside and watched him play on a twisty tube playset that McDonalds has in a fenced area in front of their building. He had a grand time, climbing, running and waving to us from the various plastic windows. Once he bumped his head, and we could hear him crying. There's no way I could fit into those tubes, so I was trying to figure out how to reach him when he finally appeared from the tube slide, tears on his little face and rubbing the owie on the top of his head. He needed some kisses and hugs, and then he was ready to play some more.
      We drove home, and he fell asleep as I sang "The Ants Come Marching Down," a new favorite of his. After a nap, he watched Scooby-Doo and the Monster of Mexico (truly the best of the Scooby-Doo video collection), played with his cars on the coffee table and finally ate some of his Happy Meal. Then we played basketball in the kitchen. (Yes, I know, but it's a house of guys and we do things like that.) Eventually it was time for him to go home, my least favorite part of his visits. The house always seems darker and sad when he's not there. Well, that's life. I wouldn't give up any of my time with him to avoid the sadness when he leaves.
      I intended to blog last night, but my Internet provider was down. So I read a little, wrote on my book and went to bed earlier than usual as I was tired. Mikey takes a lot of effort just to keep up with him. I think I'd be in much better shape if he lived with me all the time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful time with Mikey!!! I hope you post some photos of him soon!!!

Gloria Williams said...

Yes, photos!

I'm looking forward to reading your book. Are you still on pace to have it finished this summer?