Friday, February 11, 2005

We interrupt our regularly scheduled program

      My sincere apologies to everyone who is waiting for the concluding installment of "An Unattended Death." My cold moved from head into my chest, and I came home and went to bed and didn't wake up until 11:00 last night. Then I took meds and went to bed again. Hence the early rising this morning.
      I've left something out in there. I might have tried to get the installment up, but in my mail was yet another blamed rejection, once again personalized. Whee. This one is interesting. Let me quote:

Dear (TECH):

We enjoyed Murder by the Acre. The characters are lively and funny, and the plot interesting and well-crafted. However, the book seems likely to be a midlist book. Currently (our company) is trimming back on our midlist. I suggest you might consider sending it to (someone) at St. Martin's Press. This seems to me to be the type of book he's looking for. Good luck with your writing in the future, and keep us in mind for your future projects.

Sincerely,

(Yet another editorial assistant)

      Now here's the interesting (distressing) part: That someone at St. Martin's Press is the one who recommended I send it to her. Sigh.
      I know I should take comfort in the rejection. I mean, it's a nice rejection, but I get a lot of nice rejections. A LOT. I have 30 or 40 sincere, meaningful and generally kind rejection slips. I'm ready for a rude acceptance.
      Anyway, the thought of writing just seemed a bit too much, so I retreated to my bedroom, a turtle going back into his shell.
      I intend to complete "An Unattended Death" today or tomorrow at the latest, but I'm sure you guys have it figured out anyway and are just waiting to get your hunches confirmed. I also intend to try to go see the doctor today and get some medicine. I'm tired of being sick in a major way.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Re: the rejection letter.
Ah! Another to use as toilet paper :)

Trixie said...

I was just telling Frenzied last night that I was hoping you wouldn't get sick, or fall, or hurt yourself before you finish the series. Doggone! I hope you feel better very soon! And I really look forward to the conclusion.

Also, keep all your rejection letters -- wallpaper your office with them. It makes a great background for the author's photo on your book jacket once it is in print!

Jean said...

TECH,

Sorry to hear about the cold moving to the chest. I usually figure that it's moving its way through my body and will soon "go out the other end" when that happens.

You get nice rejections? Frustrating as it is, keep at it. You're getting closer.

And I don't think I've figured it out yet, so don't you dare not post the ending.

night-rider said...

At last! I've tried to post a comment 5 times so far, even tried to email you but needed your email address! The story was really good and we all look forward to more. Hope you are starting to feel better - you gotta build up that immune system boyo - more vitamins, less fat, more water, more exercise and keep up the positive thinking. We need you healthy and writing!