Thursday, February 17, 2005

My first meme and probably the only one

What year was it?
I graduated in 1979.

What were your three favorite bands (performers)?
Journey, Barry Manilow, and Aerosmith.

What was your favorite outfit?
Jeans. Shirt. I seem to remember having a pale green pullover that I would open halfway down my chest to show off my manly chest hair. And I had a gold chain. Oh, yeah, I was Mr. Cool.

What was up with your hair?
I had short hair. Parents wouldn't allow anything but that. But I did have killer sideburns.

Who were your best friends?
I really didn't have any. I wasn't happy there. I had a few that I would hang around, but I never felt more than an outsider pretending. Later in college, I would make many friends who are still with me today. Strangely enough, a couple of those friends would be people from my high school. It took college before I could learn how to accept any friendship. It was glorious when I did.

What did you do after school?
Fed the cattle and pigs, hauled hay and feed, and homework.

Where did you work?
Only on the farm. One summer my parents let me work for a couple of months at The Sonic Drive-In. I tried, but I got fired.

Did you take the bus?
Yes, until my junior year, and then my parents let me drive the pickup.

Who did you have a crush on?
I refuse to tell as this person is still in my life, and I prefer to keep my past humiliations as past!

Did you fight with your parents?
No. That would come later when I got to college and started to finally become the person I was meant to be.

Who did you have a CELEBRITY crush on?
I can't think of anyone.

Did you smoke cigarettes?
Never.

Did you lug all of your books around in your backpack all day because you were too nervous to find your locker?
I had a locker.

Did you have a clique?
No.

Did you have The Max like Zach, Kelly, and Slater?
No. And this question makes me suspect it was written for the 90s group, although I did see a few episodes of Saved By The Bell while babysitting.

Admit it, were you popular?
No. Emphatically no.

Who did you want to be just like?
Maybe Stephen King. Or Stephen R. Donaldson. Not to write like them, but to be a successful writer.

What did you want to be when you grew up?
A successful author.

Where did you think you'd be at the age you are now?
Married. Successful. Several children. Life worked out different. Not worse, but different.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I'd known you then. I'd would have been your good friend. We would have blown that little town wide open!!! What was wrong with the girls in your school?!! Were they blind and dumb?!!! :)

Trixie said...

I liked what you said about fighting with your parents. I think all of us MUST fight with our parents at some point to do that "individuation" thing and become our own persons. It just comes at different times and in different intensities. I suspect if I'd been hauling hay or something equally physical, there might have been peace in our family for a little longer. It's interesting to think about these things, anyway.
And I'm glad I've "met" this blogging group at this point in our lives where we have some idea who we really are.

Gloria Williams said...

Exactly, Trixie. I know I went through this with my parents. Learning how to stand on our own two legs is a process that we must all -- or should all -- go through.