Sunday, October 17, 2010

Why I'm silent

A friend mentioned that I'm not talking about my job search much. I'm not sure, but I think he might have been wondering if I was trying to find a job. Perhaps I'm over-sensitive, but after I thought about it, I could see why my silence could lead someone to that conclusion.

But rest assured I am. I'm not talking about it because ... well, it's been quite embarrassing. I had never really thought about me leaving my old job -- and naturally never considered it might leave me -- and thus I was completely unprepared for any type of job search.

My resume was outdated, my interview skills were nonexistent, my job search instincts atrophied almost beyond resurrection. So I had to learn everything again.

I send out resumes and cover letters, respond to newspaper ads and online job listing sites, keep my ears open and my eyes peeled. So far, the silence that has greeted my announcement that I want/need employment has been deafening. Photocopied rejection letters, curt voices on the phone saying the positions have already been filled, and a couple of interviews that should been less awkward than they were since I was talking to friends. Or people with whom I had always had a friendly relationship.

I've had friends duck me now. They act like my unemployment was some sort of social disease and look uncomfortable if I mention it. Or they heartily tell me that I should work full-time as a writer. Well, heck, I'd sure like to, but I'm not sure my creditors are going to wait for me to make it.

Anyway, that's why I've not been talking about it. If you want details, let me know. I could go on and on for hours. But I won't.

Talk to you tomorrow.

Buy Floozy and Other Stories in paperback at Lulu.com
Buy Floozy and Other Stories in hardcover at Lulu.com

2 comments:

Jean said...

Friends who suggest you write full time don't know the business. They mean well, but it's just not a practical or feasible suggestion.

I have no doubt you're working the job search hard and regular.

For those wondering, there isn't much an applicant can say in public that's appropriate until he or she has accepted an offer. Until then, it's speculation, and a potential employer who might happen to stumble onto the prospect talking about the process might have valid reason to doubt that's applicant's ability to keep confidential information confidential.

And, clearly, we know our trusty host can keep information confidential, so he doesn't want to create an impression otherwise.

For what it's worth, I'm always interested in how things are coming for you, but I know it's a painful process.

SBB said...

Thanks, Jean. I think you articulated a very good point. I appreciate your thoughtfulness.