Friday, October 13, 2006

"At Day's End"

      Somehow I ended up on the mailing list for a newsletter published by the Church of Christ. I've never attended one of their churches and have no friends that are members so I don't know why I'm receiving the newsletter. Perhaps someone thought I needed it.
      The newsletter is named House To House/Heart to Heart, and in this issue, there is a poem by Anonymous. Anonymous is a busy person(s); I notice all sorts of things are attributed to him/her/them. I Googled the poem and discovered that besides Anonymous, several people claim to have written it. Whoever authored it, I like this poem. It may lack poetic technique, but its message fits nicely in what I wrote a few days ago.

At Day's End

Is anybody happier because you passed this way?
Does anybody remember that you spoke to them today?
The day is almost over and its toiling time is through;
Is there anyone to utter now a kindly word to you?

Can you say tonight in parting with the day that's dipping fast,
That you helped a single person of the many that you passed?
Is a single heart rejoicing over what you did or said?
Does the person whom hopes were fading now with courage look ahead?

Did you waste the day or lose it? Was it well or sorely spent?
Did you leave a trail of kindness or a scar of discontent?
As you close your eyes in slumber, do you think that God will say,
"You've earned one more tomorrow by the work you did today?"

      It's something to think about. Well, I have to get ready for rehearsal now. You have a good night. I'll be talking with you tomorrow, God willing. Night!

2 comments:

SBB said...

No one had commented, and the post looked so sad without one. So I commented. I hope it feels better now.

CrystalDiggory said...

I'm sure it does feel better. :)

You're a very thoughtful guy.