Thursday, July 09, 2020

Posting today

This is why I had to post today:

Today I wasn't going to post because I was feeling down. I've been thinking about how easy it is for us to be cruel to each other and wondering why that is so.

Don't think that I'm going to go and on about how worthless humanity is, because I'm not. We're the best and brightest to come along so far, and we do some pretty amazing things. We also do some really stupid things. I've been wondering lately how is that going to balance out. When will we tip the scale toward the light finally and permanently?

A lot of people believe we won't get better. That eventually we will get so bad that the world will have to be destroyed in fire. They back this up with a lot of Biblical scholarship. I think that it would be sad. I find many good things in this world; I'd hate to think of them fading into that long night. But that's me in a nutshell. I'm always hopeful, but I plan for the worst. I do not hunger for apocalypse, and I worry about the people who do.

Anyway, considering how hard this world is, how many burdens we all carry, you'd think we'd try to be kinder to each other, even to those who have opinions and lifestyles of which we disapprove. But we're not. We shout at each other, we post terrible things about each other, we attack beliefs, faiths, lifestyles, politics, their very lives. And we give no quarter and take no prisoners. We smile when the other guys are hurt or humiliated. Because we know we're right, we don't feel pity. Just contempt.

Are we so small? If that is all we are, then bring on the fire. Let it all be swept away. I'll strike the match.

But...

Then I think of other things.

Like my babies, some of whom have grown up and are having babies of their own.

Like my siblings, who have traveled this wild road with me so far.

Like my friends, some of whom have known me for more than 40 years now, and we're still close.

And you, my social media buddies. Those folks whom I've never met in "real" life, but still care about me and are cared about by me.

And all those people out there working to make the world a better place in hospitals, soup kitchens, homeless shelters, schools, homes, churches, small towns, and large cities, all those keeping themselves above water and helping others stay afloat.

And finally, the God I serve, a God of hope, a God of joy, a God who enjoys a good joke and maybe a Dr Pepper every now and then between creating universes. The Big Table God who has a place for everyone. A God that is my friend however unworthy I am.

We are blessed. And it's still a pretty good world. So let's not have that fire just yet.

That's what I wanted to say and why I had to post today.

No comments: